Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2010, 10:18 PM   #1 
s3kshun62

Sponge Filters

So I've heard a lot of people talk about how small and how well these things work. I just have a few questions...what are they..how do they work? I'm used to basic...power filters.
s3kshun62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:15 AM   #2 
Mister Sparkle

Spong filters connect to an air pump. The air pushed through the bottom of the filter draws air up through the hose, which bringes water with it. The water being pumpted is mechanically filtered by the sponge, which also harbors a TON of beneficial bacteria, providing bacterial filtration. It a very simple method of filtration, which is very good for limiting water movement and avoiding costs associate with "cartridge"-dependent filters. Just wring out the sponge in a bucket of aquarium waters every week or so to get detritous out of it.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:46 AM   #3 
Tinthalas Tigris

There are many different ways to make Sponge filters at home. Alot of youtube videos exist under "DIY Aquarium Sponge filter."

They are one of the most "old school" methods of filtration that became extremely popular in the 1980s, built into very simple aquariums, because they are so simple.

A basic DIY Sponge filter involved an air pump, an air line, an air stone (somewhat optional), a plastic cylinder shorter in length than the lowest and highest points of your water line in your aquarium, and one of the following: A sponge, a Cotton-like mesh, a filter sock, panty hose and gravel - at the top of the plastic, obstructing the bubbles from traveling straight through to the top of the cylinder.

There are various ways to use it, but as simple as it is, and as simple as Mister Spark pointed out, the airline tubing w/ or without air stone reaches down behind the tube. The tube lays just tall enough above your substrate to allow water to reach into the tube. By a matter of inverted water based gravity (Air pressure), the bubbling air from the air stone causes water to pass with it up the tube and out through the filter media up top.

This builds together a fantastic amount of beneficial bacteria in the end of the tube, and as said before, it is a very simple, mildly disturbing to your air movement filter medium. This is most common in fry and hospital tanks.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:23 AM   #4 
soleilvie

Mister Sparkle, no disrespect, but were you drunk while typing that?!
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol! It sure looks like it. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #6 
Tinthalas Tigris

if it is any consolation, I had a couple sunday beers while posting my message :)
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had a couple sunday margaritas. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #8 
s3kshun62

Monday beer here I come....also day off beer. Thanks for the help with the sponge filters, I think I may pic one up.
s3kshun62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #9 
Mister Sparkle

Wow! Was it that obvious?
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote