Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #41 
Bailmint

Rereading the thread now, with full attention. After that I'll decide what colors I want to do.
Bailmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:31 PM   #42 
Bailmint

Would it be too hard to try for a multicolor or marble butterfly? Might take a few generations to get it I would imagine.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:57 PM   #43 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Just any multi color is easy - chuck a pair of different colored bettas and you'll get multis. But you want the different colors to show certain balanced pattern, which is easier said than done.
Just any marble or butterfly (or both) is easy. Only one parent needs to be marbled or butterfly. But getting 50% color bands may take generations regardless of parent's pattern.

Determine what color type (regular/basic color, metallic, dragon) you like best. Then choose a color line (according to color layer - irid, red, etc.). Or if you prefer a more colorful combo, try koi or other marbled based color. Breed them and see if you are up to more breeding.
indjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #44 
Bailmint

Yeah, I'm doing more study up on the genetic layers and it's starting to make more sense to me. I really like metallic type, iridescent layer. So what you mean is I would need to breed a butterfly and a marble to get a butterfly marble? Or something of that sort?
Old 06-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #45 
Aryia

You will need some larger live food to follow up from Microworms. I would recommend BBS and you can DIY a BBS hatchery for really cheap. Also I like to use short but wide diameter cups for microworm cultures, just seems to work better since they don't really climb really high to begin with.

I personally would suggest some filtration system for your shelf/jar. There was a point in time where I did manual water changes for 50 cupped Bettas... everyday. And trust me it wasn't fun at all and the water quality was still so bad that the bettas did horrible. Also mason jars are really heavy, not sure if you want to be lugging those around with a bunch of water in them.

Another thing to keep in mind, make sure the shelves can support the weight of all that water! If I remember correctly a lot of shelves are rated at 200 lb per shelf, so that would support around 25 gallons of water not including the weight of the jars/tanks.

I like to use half of a styrofoam cup as a nest for my bettas, and Indian Almond Leaf is always helpful as well : )

Good luck ^^ Definitely would want to see some black/white bettas hehe
Aryia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:55 PM   #46 
Bailmint

Thanks for the input c: I'll definitely keep that all in mind!

Sadly I decided to change what colors I'm breeding xD But they'll be just as beautiful!

I'll definitely keep your advice in mind though! Thank you!
Old 06-30-2014, 10:58 PM   #47 
Aryia

xD I'm sure they will be. I'm notoriously bad for not sifting through the entire thread :P
Aryia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:01 PM   #48 
Bailmint

Psh I guessed xD.

I'm planning on breeding a marble butterfly thing hehe. Maybe I could get EE parents to enhance their beauty even more.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #49 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If you want marbles, at least one of the parent must be marble. You will get generations of marbles even though you don't add more marbles (if you introduce new genes).
Same goes for butterfly.
So if you want a marble butterfly, either get a marble butterfly (on one fish) or one butterfly and one marble.

If you want metallic irids, cross copper to irids. You will get few coppers (or should) and mostly irids, some of which may be metallic (eg. metallic light green or metallic steel blue)

If you want all the above; either try to get a copper butterfly and cross it to an irid marble (one example) or vise versa . . . or get either a marble butterfly copper/irid.

This is more feasible for newbies.
indjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #50 
Jonthefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
If you want marbles, at least one of the parent must be marble. You will get generations of marbles even though you don't add more marbles (if you introduce new genes).
Same goes for butterfly.
So if you want a marble butterfly, either get a marble butterfly (on one fish) or one butterfly and one marble.

If you want metallic irids, cross copper to irids. You will get few coppers (or should) and mostly irids, some of which may be metallic (eg. metallic light green or metallic steel blue)

If you want all the above; either try to get a copper butterfly and cross it to an irid marble (one example) or vise versa . . . or get either a marble butterfly copper/irid.

This is more feasible for newbies.
That sounds complicated xD

You sound very educated in breeding , do you breed yourself ? Or have you just read a lot about it ?
Jonthefish is offline   Reply With Quote