Betta Fish Forum banner

Thinking about breeding!

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  SweetnSpicy 
#1 ·
Ok well i have breeded guppies and have attempted to breed mollies and platys but bettas are a whole different cup o' tea. So my mom has a 2.5 gallon and a 10 gallon (neither inhabited or set up yet) at her house (my parents are divorced) and i was thinking that we could put a male in the 2.5 gallon and buy another for a female! Then we could set up the 10 gallon as a breeding tank! The problem is, i have no idea how to set it up or what to do to get them ready to breed as well as what i need to do during the spawn ect. i wont be at mom's for more than a day after everything is cycled and set up and all that good stuff so i was thinking i could help her set everything up one day. And come back in 2 weeks after the 10 gallon is cylced and the water tests ok and get the bettas!( Aquabid!!!) Then in maybe a week or two go again and begin adding them in the DIVIDED ten gallon so they can get a bubblenest going ect. And finally come back in 1 week and spawn them! Does this sound good? And can someone help me with the setup, steps of getting them ready to spawn ect? SORRY FOR THE LONG LENGTH! Thanks!

#3 ·
Thanks bunches! That helped me so much! Can anyone post a pictue of the ideal breeding setup? Thanks!:-D

#4 ·
The babies are going to need MUCH more space then a 10g. You need a grow out tank usually, and those are best if about 20g. Then you need space for jars, containers and all that. You got room for that? Time for that? Money for that?

Hope this doesn't come off as rude, but you just need to make sure your ready for all the responsibility.

I don't know what your schedule is, but are you going to be home every day to feed the fry 3+ times a day?

#5 ·
Dont worry dogghog your not be rude. I may breed and i may not anyway. My mom is the one who will be feeding raising the fry mostly since i dont live with her and she can buy jars we agreed on that. As for the 20 gallon i will see what i can do but i will have to talk to my mom about that. Would a 15 gallon work?

#8 ·
I would get a very large rubbermaid tub.. its not as pretty but it works great for grow outs and the large ones are over 20 gallons. You just hook a sponge filter up to it and throw a heater in there and there ya go

You also need to think about what you will do with the fry. Will you be able to euth the ones that have deformities? What will you do with the fry you can't find homes for? IMO a hobbyist breeder should NEVER give fry to pet stores.

Your going to need to culture live foods like BBS and vinegar eels to feed the fry. Once the fry are jarred your going to have to do daily water changes.

Its definitely a lot of work.. you really have to be dedicated.

#9 ·
Ok so i will talk to mom about the rubbermaid tub or 15-20 gallon! And hopefully ( if mom gets over her fear of live fish food LOL) i can get some live food. Is Infusoria ok? I heard you can put a peice of peeled potato in old tank water and leave it overnight and then it will be cloudy with infusoria? I think if my mom is up to doing some of the work ( i want to do as much as i can but i dont see her everyday being that i dont live with her so its hard to do all of it) i can definitely breed! Thank you for all the help guys! If anyone has anymore suggestions,rules,ect feel free to tell me I'd love to know! Once again thank you!

#10 ·
By the way before i actually breed im going to do some more research so i dont end up with dead fish lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.