Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #1 
newfishmom

Unhappy Roscoe? antisocial

Brought home Roscoe last Thursday. He was VERY freeked out! He did eat Thursday night and Friday morning. But he is still VERY freeked out. He did not eat. I know sometimes it takes a bit for them to eat so this isn't bothering me yet. This morning he ate a very small piece that was floating to the bottom. From Thursday till Sunday he stayed in his flowerpot. Fins are clamped but they don't really look like anything is wrong. (diseased) Sunday afternoon he started hanging around the heater and a plant. No one can come close to the tank because he just goes nuts. Swimming crazy trying to get away. A couple of times I have gone up and just looked at him and he will come out of his pot, kinda look at me, go up for air, then dive back down to a hidey place. He is so totally different than Buster and Peep. They are extreamly social!!! Kinda getting bummed out about his antisocialness. How long has it taken for your fishies to get used to you? Or have yours never gotten used to anyone?
newfishmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

He could be sick, but what size is the tank? Is he heated? If not, what's the temperature in the tank? If the waters too cold for them, they can become lethargic. It is normal for them to not eat for a couple days after getting them...as soon as they're comfortable enough, they'll start eating. How many plants do you have in there? Sometimes when bettas have too much space to swim around in, they feel very insecure and unsafe.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #3 
newfishmom

3 gallon, heated with a flower pot {which he spends plenty of time in} A large plant that he seems to like alot and a couple of other smaller plants. Seems full to me, lots of spaces to hide.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

If you wanted, you could take a picture of the tank and we can give you suggestions if you want them. :)
Old 04-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #5 
newfishmom

I took out the larger flowerpot and added a plant. Since doing that he comes out of the flowerpot more and hovers around the larger plant to the left. And some behind the flowerpot by the new plant. I guess he is just not as outgoing as my others and it is going to take him longer to get adjusted.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Some of mine have taken a week or more before warming up to me.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #7 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Well the tank looks great! LOVE the pots. :) He's probably still really shy and uncomfortable.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #8 
xxabc

I would just say to wait it out, even if it does hurt. You seem to be taking care of him (what's your water-change schedule? I'm assuming it's not cycled) well.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #9 
newfishmom

100% water changes on Mondays & Fridays. I got him on Thursday. Water was a bit cloudy on Saturday so changed it then. Did it again today to get him in the same routine as the others.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #10 
xxabc

Honestly, I think he will be fine. It hasn't been too excrutiatingly (2 weeks) long without food.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote