Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #1 
ParisRose

Bunches of Troubles...

Hi
I'm a new Betta owner. He was a present from my boyfriend for my 16th birthday. He's a beautiful blue veil tail (I think?) and his head is black but becomes blue as it reaches the fins.

I've done a lot of research but I've got a couple of problems. The first one is more of a social issue. My mom absolutely hates Napoleon. I'm actually seriously afraid she'll kill him while I'm at school.

The second issue is little Napoleon is very lazy fishy? He swims quite slowly unless I'm tapping the glass or putting a mirror up to the glass. I don't want him going beserk but he looks kinda droopy even though I've only had him for a couple days. I think it's because the water's cold. How do I fix this? It seems the water won't warm up to room temperature. I don't have a very good setup.. It's just a small square tank I'm seriously not sure if it even has a half gallon in it. It really worries me.

While I'm here I might as well ask how often I should be cleaning his tank. The pamphlet said once a week but it seems like the water is already murky. I think I'm going to get him a bigger tank this weekend. Any affordable suggestions? Also is there anything aside from food and water conditioner that I should have on hand? I would like to prove my parents wrong and not have him die within a month.

Thanks so much
I know it's a lot of questions.

EDIT: Help me settle a bet with my dad. Can I leave a ziplock plastic bag just laying on top of the tank (inch of air between surface and bag) so he doesn't jump out? Or should my dad cut some screen material?

Last edited by ParisRose; 04-26-2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: forgot something
ParisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #2 
Noko

With a small tank under a gallon, you will be doing tons of water changes. I suggest you get a 2.5 gallon tank at the minimum. I like 5 gallon tanks though.

As for the heating issue, when you get a bigger tank, you can get a heater. Don't get a heater for that small of a tank though. You might end up frying your betta.

This is just stuff to get you started. Let someone else come in and give you more detailed stuff.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #3 
xxabc

The Walmart Tank is a 5 gallon tank with a filter, for $30. Very affordable IMO. You still must buy a heater with is. There is one at Walmart that runs near $12, give or take. It seems to vary in price in different regions.

I think I know what "tank" you have. In that, you should be doing DAILY water changes just to keep your dear fish alive and well. He's droopy because, chances are, the tank water is way too cold. I wouldn't try to heat that unless you safely can, although I wouuld imagine costs would run higher.

Just forget the pamphlet - Chances are, you're better off with asking us all of your questions rather than reading those instructions. We'll be nice, we promise! Haha

I believe that when you block the the top, the moisture from the water itself is entrapped? I actually am not sure about this. However, it's imperative that he is able to get air from the top of the tank. He will not survive if there is no access to oxygen at the top of the tank. He won't survive on oxygen in the water alone. Also, if you leave the ziplock bag on, and he does jump, the bag itself may not be strong enough unless it's secure. Wait 'til you see an actual betta jump ...

First steps first: Buy a bigger tank as soon as possible! Heater is imperative, I'd rather buy a heater over a filter.

Optimal temperatures are usually 77-80F, which is much higher than standard room temperatures.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #4 
TeenyTinyTofu

xxabc covered it great, so I'll just say I completely agree.

And I second the suggestion for the Walmart kit. It's a 5 gallon kit, that comes with the tank, hood, light, filter and filter cartridge, for only $30. All you'll need is a heater, and you're set.
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #5 
ParisRose

I would love to get the Wal Mart kit. It sounds great. But I'm not sure if I could get it and a heater (and lunch). I was wondering if I could use a large Lees Kritter keeper? That way I could get a heater.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #6 
Jayy

yes, a large kitter keeper would work great!
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #7 
ParisRose

Good. I just want him out of the tiny half gal tank he's in now.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #8 
TeenyTinyTofu

Yeah, a critter keeper would work great. You can get the largest size one at Petsmart for $15, and it's a 5 gallon capacity. All you'd need is a heater (Walmart sells the Tetra heaters for $12), so you could have a 5 gallon set-up for under $30, including the heater.

Or, you can get the medium 3 gallon critter keeper at Petsmart for $12, and have the whole set-up done for around $25.
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #9 
nochoramet

I got my 2.5g kritter keeper for $8, I mean 5g would be better, but Chance is happy in his 2.5g so it's not a bad deal. Everyone else covered everything great! Just if you don't get a filter, you'll need to stay on top of water changes :)
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:18 PM   #10 
ParisRose

I actually sent out an email and my friend's going to give me his old 5 gal. I'm quite excited. I have flatish blue glass beads. They're pretty big they're the kind you put in vases. Would that make suitable gravel?