Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2014, 01:36 AM   #1 
CNDBETTAS

Hello all!

I didnt notice there was an introduction thread so I will post a little about me here. My name is Chris, I used to have Bettas when I was a younger kid. I got my first Betta when I was about 11 or so. By the time I was 14 I had dedicated my entire bedroom to keeping them. I did keep them in bowls though, it was back in a day when the internet took 5 minutes to log on and researching things took a day and a half lol. I had enough common sense to get them out of those ridiculous little cups though, and they all had about a gallon and a half sized bowl. I started breeding Bettas when I was 15. I had my first successful spawn and was hooked! Found all the youngsters homes and soon after my entire room was full of breeder tanks, grow out tanks and 1.5 gallon bowls for the youngins that caught my eye. Fast forward a few years and I had decided to enlist into the United States Army. I did my time and when I got out I got married. Now, we have a three year old son and life has finally reached a point where me and my wife are able to stay in one place for quite some time. I was out at the pet store buying our dog some food and had my son with me and he saw the Bettas. He instantly wanted one!! I decided to let him have one and truth be told, I wanted another one just as bad LOL. Every time I passed the Betta section I was reminded of my old set ups, breeder tanks and all the hours I spent taking care of my Bettas. I helped my son pick a healthy looking HalfMoon, got a 5.5 gallon tank, a low GPH filter and a heater. Numerous silk plants and some gravel. My wife was pleasantly surprised as well LOL. She had no idea how much there was to keeping Bettas! She didnt know about Betta competitions, shows or anything about breeding them. Needless to say, she is just as excited as I am to start building our Betta "collection" and even wants to try breeding a few higher end CrownTails! Its awesome that her and I will be able to share this hobby and enjoy it together as well as keep my son interested in it so when he gets a little older, he can fully enjoy being a part of the Betta keeping community! As far as what I do for a living, I am an undercover Loss Prevention Detective. I basically wear whatever clothing is comfortable, walk around higher end clothing/department stores and blend in with customers. My job is to detect and apprehend shoplifters. We do use force if we need to but only what is deemed "reasonable". Handcuffs are also used daily. It does get crazy sometimes and its definitely an adrenalin junkies dream job lol! Sometimes we come across people who have warrants, are on probation etc. Etc or just plain crazy! Sometimes people dont want to come with you when you arrest them and they fight, thats when it gets the craziest! Ive been in a few nasty altercations, one of which resulted in me being hit by a car and dragged 10 feet under the door. People can become very violent when they get desperate! That is another reason I am such a HUGE betta enthusiast! It helps me unwind better than anything else!! Sorry this was long lol. Ill end this post here. Looking forward to meeting all of you! Im glad to be a new member here!!!
CNDBETTAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:54 AM   #2 
CNDBETTAS

Reading that, lol it is very long! Again, I apologize about the lengthy post! Just wanted to share a little bit about myself and why I am as crazy about keeping bettas as I am lol. With my job and prior military experience, I rarely find a healthy outlet that allows me to turn everything off and just slow things down a bit. I find peace of mind in my soon to be fish room. Serenity if you will. The fact that my wife is becoming as much of an enthusiast as I am is a HUGE extra bonus!! Thanks for reading my incredibly long winded post! And again, I look forward to getting to know you guys and am very excited to be a part of this great community! Everything ive seen thus far, and the few people I have met so far have all been great! Seems like a very knowledgeable and friendly community!!
Old 06-29-2014, 06:59 AM   #3 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum

What a great intro. I think it's great that your wife and son share your love of bettas. They sure are addicting aren't they?

And thank you very much for your service in the Army
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #4 
CNDBETTAS

Thank you!! Very glad to be here!!