Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #1 
Mitsufishi

Acting a little weird... Help?

I don't wanna over react and think it is something worse then it is, but today awa has been acting a little weird. We walked in from work and he was laying on his side on the bottom of the tank. He perked up when we came in but seems to be swimming vertically instea of horizontally. Then kind of slowing stop swimming and go back down. I don't really see any other problems no haven't changes anything. Water was 0 amm about an hr ago. Temp at 77-78 in a 2 gallon. 100% change done every Thursday with a 50 when I can remember half way. Fasted on Sundays, only thinG new was I gave him about 3 frozen blood worms on Saturday. Any thought? Over reacting?
Mitsufishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #2 
Mitsufishi

He just really seems to want to lay on his side on the bottom he gets up and swims but he kinda seems to be a little slow. As in like he forgot how to.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Does he look bloated at all?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #4 
Mitsufishi

I was actually looking at him pretty closely this morn caus he was just laying on his plant. And maybe just maybe he might seem bloated. I wanna say that's the case. I didnt feed him today just in case. I also am not around all the time but I don't see the usual poop thati would see either.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

When I see any change in a fish I make a 50% water change for a couple of days and stop all food and usually they will perk up, however, if that doesn't work I move on to the next treatment most common with the symptom I see.

In your case or symptoms listed, I would go with the Epsom salt 1tsp/gal and daily 100% water changes in QT for at least 10 days, no food for 3-4 days then small daily feedings of a high protein.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #6 
Mitsufishi

Great! I will do a 50 when i get home and see how that works. I was thinking this is what I would need to do. I have a 2g Ill put him in if he doesnt perk up and use the epsom salt. I can just buy that at any store right? Just make sure it has no dyes or additives? For 10 days, ill do the 100 daily and add salt each day? I hope this works better. He just seems sooooo lazy and doesnt want to swim around. The little kuhli loach I have in there is even trying to kick his butt and usually Awa is running circles around him :(
Old 04-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I get my Epsom salt in the pharmacy department at walmart, but you can find it in most stores pharmacy dept.
I buy a lot of it because I also use it on my flowering shrubs and rose bushes and any plant that looks a bit yellow....lol.....its some good stuff.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #8 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Lol. I hope he gets better soon! Keep us updated. :)
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #9 
Mitsufishi

Ok so I did a 50 just now and this is a pic of him In his sep bowl while o did it. This is an above shot and u can kinda see how he just Sits up

and then 2 after I put him back in the last one is pretty much how he swims aroud. Facing up!

Old 04-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #10 
Mitsufishi

This morning there is still no change in him. This is what he was doing, no perking up or swimming around :'(