Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2010, 04:14 AM   #1 
justloco

Angry fin and body rot

Hello I'm new here and I have a problem and I'm looking for some advice on how I can help my Betta out and if what I am doing will help him.

I purchased triple sulfa yesterday and started treatment. All the water parameters are at good levels. I guess the good thing is is that hes still eating and still active. I've been using api stresscoat for water changes and also api aquarium salt. I have a 2.5 gallon divided tank.

Originally I had 3 betas in the tank and 1 passed yesterday. I have my Betta's for about 2 months now. I was doing regular water changes and they were happy making bubble nests and all. Once I started doing all the tests I noticed my ammonia was a 4. I went to the store I purchased my Betta's from and I told the owner that the ammonia is pretty high and he told me to get ammo lock.

Now I noticed when I used the ammo lock the next day I tested the water again and it was right back at 4. So I did a complete water change and that's when I noticed the fin rot and some body rot on his sides and on his face.. The little guy didn't make it through the night and in the morning I noticed one of the others had it also..That's when I went to get the triple sulfa. So this is my second day and im hoping everything is going to be okay.

I am going to be posting a pic so that everyone has a better look and can tell me if the triple sulfa is going to work or not. This has me all messed up the past few days as I just want my Betta to be okay.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

justloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What are your other water pram numbers for nitrite, and nitrate..also pH and water temp
how much and how often on the water changes and when was the last one

Most of the products that cover up or lock ammonia will change it to ammonium that is fish safe but will still read ammonia when tested. I would start by making lot of water changes
Also have you tested your source water for ammonia?

Three betta in a 2.5g divided tank, now two...IMO will need daily 50-80% water changes if not more to keep water safe for fish regardless of filtration or cycling.

I don't use OTC medication so I can't recommend or say much about the medication you have, I only do natural treatment with great success, water changes being the number one treatment.

You have a beautiful betta by the way I hope he gets better....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #3 
justloco

nitrite 0
nitrate 0
pH 6.6
ammonia .25
temp 80

I do daily water changes, well now I have been, other than that I was doing changes every 5 - 7 days. On the back of the medication it says to do a water change every third day, now im just not sure if its a full or partial change, I also wanted to say they are glass partitions in the tank and im not to sure if the water is filtering correctly. Is it better to just take out the filter while I am treating them? I already took out the white cotton like filter.

Thank you I hope he gets well soon also. I've been losing lots of sleep over this :(

Last edited by justloco; 04-24-2010 at 04:58 PM.
justloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I am not 100% sure but I would think that the directions meant partial water changes not full.....but not 100% on that.

Yes, the solid partitions can inhibit the water flow and filtration, just make sure if you have any carbon to remove that during treatment with medication.

I would remove one of the males and put him in a QT and treat separate and maybe increase your regular water changes after they get better to prevent fin issues.
Good luck...... I do hope they improve for you
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:37 AM   #5 
Mister Sparkle

As many water changes as you can do, the better! And ditch the "ammo-lock" stuff...not necessary in the least, and will totally mess up any bacterial filter you have going.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #6 
louu

I have used tri sulfa to get rid of finrot and I was also very confused by the instructions the fish shop lady said to dose as directed and make a hundred percent water change every 2-3 days but that could have been a less aggressive form of treatment this site http://www.aquariumlife.net/articles...m-care/104.asp says to dose as directed with 25% water change before another dose in 24hrs time with a minimum course of ten days I would assume that is for a very serious case like yours and you have to remember that tri sulfer is a broad spectrum antibiotic and like all antibiotics they work best in 'courses'.

as for your filter you only have to remove and carbon that is in it. and prolonged treatments may affect the biological filter so possibly best to get a hold of a hospital tank

Keep reading up on diseases of betta's just to make sure you are treating it best as you are the best person to make the diagnosis.

how is he going by the way?
louu is offline   Reply With Quote