Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #1 
Cloelia

Not eating and skittish

I changed Gareth's water on Saturday and treated it with water conditioner, same routine as normal. I did leave him out of the bowl for longer than I normally do, but not longer than he stays out when I go home (I'm a college student).

After I got him back in, he didn't want to eat anything, but he goes through cycles of wanting to eat a lot and not wanting to eat anything. He's also been sitting near the bottom a lot, but he goes through periods of doing that too.

What really started to worry me was that Gareth is usually a very friendly fish; when I turn his light on in the morning, he always perks up and comes to the front of the bowl then gets ready to eat. He's usually pretty active and curious (?, he likes to come to the front of the bowl whenever I'm around). Now he's starting to act very skittish. When I turn on the light, he hides near the back, and when I try to give him food, he swims away from my hand.

To make it worse, yesterday evening, he started to lean slightly to one side. He sometimes rights himself whenever he swims, but not always.

I don't see anything odd with his appearance, but he may be a little bit bloated. It's hard to tell, but I don't see any poop on the bottom, so I'm guessing that could be his problem (at least that's what I gather it might be from others' problems).

I'm just not sure because I've never had this happen before (I've had him for about 1.5-2 years and had another before him). What does it sound like to you?
Cloelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry to hear Gareth is not well......several things come to mind with the symptoms you list as well as possible age related issues/changes.

A few question....
What size tank, filtration, type of additives used, how much and how often on the water changes and when was the last one and water temp?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #3 
Cloelia

It's a 1 gallon tank, no filtration system. I use Top Fin water conditioner, no other additives. The last time I changed the water was three days ago, and I usually do a full water change once a week. The water temp is about 70, which I know is a little on the low side.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like he is cold, you need to get a heater and get his water temp up to 78-80F.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #5 
Cloelia

Update!

I did a complete water change this afternoon, probably about 3 hours ago, and Gareth is acting much happier. He's not resting on the bottom anymore, now he's swimming around.

I am a little worried because he's still leaning to one side, though. I guess I'll wait a little while before I panic. He's still being a little skittish, but I assume that's because he doesn't feel good.

On a side note, I did notice while I was pouring out the water that it had a strange smell (the gross fish-water smell). Now, I've been lax before (shame on me) and not cleaned his bowl for about 10 days, and it's gotten that smell. But this was after just 3 days. I'm assuming that maybe it was because he wasn't eating so there were a few pieces of food rotting on the bottom, but it was pretty pungent for that, I thought. Could this be a sign of something?
Old 04-30-2010, 11:15 PM   #6 
Mister Sparkle

You may have some permanent damage. But keeping up with frequent water changes (1/week isn't going to cut it, I'm afraid) and heating the aquarium are a must! Bettas are hardy fish, and oftentimes a drastic improvement in water quality and a return to tropical temps are all that they need. Sometimes, it just ensures that they are comfortable for the tail end of their lives. Switch to a 3-times per week water change schedule and get those temps to 78-degrees!
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote