Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #1 
Welsh

What do you guys feed your bettas?

I have tried fish flakes, blood worm and pellets and I cant get him to eat. Even though he gets along with everyone in the community tank I am looking for a nice new tank just for him so I can keep an eye on his food intake. Is there anything anyone can suggest that he may eat?

Thanks =)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #2 
Jooleeah

How long have you had him? Does he get along well with the other fish you have with him? he could be stressed out. I feed mine Hikari pellets and freeze dried bloodworms.
Jooleeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #3 
Welsh

Yeah he gets along fine with the others, they stay out of his way and vice versa. I have had him since last Thursday and I've not had any trouble other than he wont eat. =(
Old 04-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #4 
Jooleeah

Sometimes it takes a while for them to adjust, one of mine took about a week plus until he decided he wanted to eat. be patient :)
Old 04-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #5 
Welsh

Thats good to know =) Ill just have to learn to be patient lol

Thanks =)
Old 04-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #6 
Jooleeah

no problem :)
Old 04-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #7 
BerkB33

If he continues to not eat, try live food. Tubifex worms (black worms), brine or mystic shrimp. If he doesn't eat that...you may have to go interveinously! LOL.
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #8 
TeenyTinyTofu

I feed mine Hikari pellets, with the store has them in stock. When they're out, I buy whichever other brand they have. I also feed freeze dried bloodworms, brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, crumbled pieces of freeze dried tubifex worms, and the occasional spirulina flake or two.
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #9 
Welsh

I have been feeding him King British freeze dried bloodworms but he just turns his nose up at them lol. Maybe hes still settling in, I've heard that if a betta is happy he will do a bubble nest is this true? Also how many times a day do you feed yours?

=)
Old 04-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Try some fresh garlic juice on his food, garlic is great for appetite stimulation, I use fresh crushed garlic in my homemade fish food and all my fish species love and thrive on it.... along with the spinach and shrimp.

A good varied diet is best IMO/E, sometimes feeding too much and too often of the freeze dried type fish foods can cause bloat issues, these type of foods are often best fed as a once or twice weekly treat, a good Betta pellet as a staple would be best and if you have access to live mosquito larva that are free of pollution/poison..etc.....Bettas love them.....

My adult Bettas get fed once a day 6 days a week with one day of fast, growing fish depending on growth and development stage get 2-4 times a day feedings.

And yes, a bubblenest is often a sign of being happy IMO/E
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote