Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #11 
bloo97

I use Hikari Betta Bio Gold Pellets
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #12 
Welsh

If I fed my betta what you (oldfishlady) suggested would that affect the other fish that he is in the tank with also will it foul the water?

I havent seen a bubble nest so I guess hes not happy just yet =(
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #13 
xxabc

Bubble nests are not actual indications of whether or not they are truly happy. I could show you my bettas who are happy as can be, yet without a bubble nest. Why? Because they know there is just way too much water agitation (sponge filter) in order to make a stable bubble nest. Last time they tried, it was miserable failure...haha .

Sometimes it's plain instinct, or when they breed with a nice lil' girl. Sometimes they WILL do it for "no reason", and usually (more often than not) it is a sign of 'happiness' in this case. If he doesn't do it, you shouldn't worry at all.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #14 
Mister Sparkle

How big is your sponge? I've found a lot of success with the smaller types by setting it up so that the snorkel stick out of the surface of the water. Very little surface movement whatsoever.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #15 
xxabc

Actually mine is huge. Haha. It's labeled as a 10-30 sponge (it's made for filters) but it was the only one there, and I got impatient with making a filter, so I went ahead and bought it .

The "snorkel" thing is an inch below the water line. It works fine and the currents don't bother me, but I can't say I know my sponge filters.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #16 
prettyfishy312

I feed mine a variety of foods so he will keep eating. I use both betta flakes and pellets, blood worms, and even a baby shrimp broken into little pieces.

It might even help you if you feed your betta every other day as well
prettyfishy312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #17 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
If I fed my betta what you (oldfishlady) suggested would that affect the other fish that he is in the tank with also will it foul the water?

I havent seen a bubble nest so I guess hes not happy just yet =(
No my homemade food will not foul the water, and use of just fresh garlic juice should not foul the water and the other fish would love it too....

I would not worry if he has not made a bubblenest, at this point.... I think your fish is adjusting......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #18 
BettaCee

testing...my responses keep wiping out...
BettaCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #19 
BettaCee

Ok, what I've tried to say is: I use an eye dropper to feed my Betta's one soaked pellet at a time. You can squirt it under the surface where they can see it and usually they will chase it. I use Bio Gold that I soak in aquarium water in a shot glass. If they don't hit on the pellet just suck it back up and try again. This is how I feed my four Betta's every day. They no longer need the eye dropper method but I still use it because it provides quality interaction for us both.
BettaCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #20 
Welsh

Thanks guys, I cant wait to try your suggestions. My mother passed comment on how skinny he was looking so hes going to need to be fattened up, lol
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote