Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #1 
bonfiliof

Can't get rid of cloudiness?

Ok I'm perplexed beyond belief. I have a 10 gal tank, with a heater and filter.
I regularly test my water and all readings are normal.
I vacuum the gravel, clean the plants and hiding places.
I've tried water clearing stuff from the pet store.
I've done 50% water changes, cleaned everything top to bottom then a few days later the cloudiness is back.

I have one betta and 6 small cories. All fish seem to be doing fine, (other than one cory who looks like he just broke one of his fins...and he is the one the betta chases from time to tome)

Anyone have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks
bonfiliof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #2 
Tinthalas Tigris

Alot of the water clearing agents will cloud your water more, temporarily, and then 3 to 5 days later they have been known to clear it up.

Before we get to the possibility that it is a bacterial bloom, lets go through some diagnoses:

What sort of substrate are you using? (Sand? Gravel? Rocks? None?) Did you wash it before adding it to the aquarium? how long ago did you wash it?

What kind of filtration are you using? When did you last change your filter media or clean the sponge?

How long has the tank been setup?

Do you have any live plants?

Also, What is the exact anti-clouding agent you used?
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #3 
bonfiliof

I have gravel that came with the tank (I did clean it when I first setup the tank and I vacuum it weekly)
I have a TopFin 10 filter that came with the tank
I cleaned the filter and replaced the carbon filler 1.5 weeks ago
The tank is about 4 months old
No live plants
Nutrafin Bioclear is the water clearing agent.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #4 
Mister Sparkle

Sounds bacterial to me. Did you do anything to try to "transfer" the beneficial bacteria from your old filter cartridge to the new one?
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #5 
bonfiliof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sparkle View Post
Sounds bacterial to me. Did you do anything to try to "transfer" the beneficial bacteria from your old filter cartridge to the new one?
No I did not. I am still a "newbie" to this scene.

What do I need to do to combat this? I really had looking at my tank with the cloudiness in it.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #6 
Mister Sparkle

Do a lot of water changes, like 25% per day at least. If you can get ahold of a bottle of nitrifying bacteria, it'll help kick-start your "re"-cycle.

When you change out a filter cartridge in the future, "squeeze" the old one over the new cartridge, so that some of the bacterial colony will transfer. Additionally, you can add some of the bottled bacteria I already mentioned, to try to keep your filter "alive" in between media changes. In larger aquariums, I usually prefer a "bio-wheel" power filter which prevents this from happening.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:06 AM   #7 
Tinthalas Tigris

you can also take the old filter, replace it with the new one, and put the old filter BEHIND the new one. It'll eventuallly transfer a good amount of that beneficial bacteria over to it.

It probably is bacteria bloom. I don't have any personal experience with dealing with them, myself.

The most common method, is using a flocculant, such as nutrafin bioclear. The key to dealing with using a flocculant is actually to avoid excess water changes. Instead, if you are sing the floucculant, for 7 days, perform no water changes. The flocculant will cause the bacteria to stick together and turn into larger masses that stick together. It will get sucked up by your power filter.

INSTEAD, every day, rinse your power filter in old tank water, OR treated tap water (tap water treated with conditioner). Rinse that filter, and rinse it, and keep rinsing, but do NOT add fresh tap water to it.

Do that every day, follow the rest of the directions on the flocculant you have (I believe the nutrafin says somethign like, add it to the tank, and in 1-2 hours you might see more of a bloom, then after 7 days, if not cleared up, treat again). It will clear up.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:04 AM   #8 
Mister Sparkle

Adding more chemicals to the water, ESPECIALLY when those chemicals instruct the user to abstain from performing water changes, never have seemed to me like a good answer for anything.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:21 AM   #9 
Tinthalas Tigris

Flocculants in water clarifiers are actually sort of like Nitra and Nitrospira. They allow a net for colloids to bond to, by allowing them to bond to eachother, and they become sheets, webs and flakes of bacteria instead of clouds. They then get sucked up directly into the power filter, and you (the owner) clean them out from there. Changing the water daily dillutes the flocculant, and doesn't allow a proper netting, and in turn, they continue spread and disperse stages throughout the aquarium.

It is really a fantastic process that allows [most] water clarifiers to work.

Luckily, I've never had to use one.

Last edited by Tinthalas Tigris; 04-28-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:52 AM   #10 
Tinthalas Tigris

**Meant to add also, how they are sort of like the Nitra and Nitrospira PRIMERS you get in products like "Nitroban" from tetra care. They don't actually have a bacteria in them. Just the flocculation agent.