Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #1 
vaygirl

Tango blew out his beautiful tail!

I woke up this morning and he's got a huge rip near the top of his tail and big chunks missing from the edges and fringes hanging off in one spot. At least all his other finnage is still perty.

He's become a flare-a-holic over his own reflection. I cover a corner and he moves to another. I guess I need more light on this end of the room outside his tank? Or I'm covering all three straight sides with a background. And I look over and he's flaring. Time for a lights out for him! I don't even know how he can see beyond the wall o' diatoms!

I can't salt him cause of the corys. I added a wee bit of bettafix. Like 1/3 the dosage. Lord save them from themselves.

Okay, /rant off. Lol!

vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Can you put him in a hospital tank and treat him separately?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #3 
Jayy

Oh no! i hope his tail heals soon
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #4 
vaygirl

He's done this before and healed in his own tank. It's never been this bad, granted, but I think he'll do okay. Actually, if you look at my avatar pic you can see at the top of his tail where there's clear tail in between patches of red? He's torn it there before doing the maniac flare dance. That's where it tore this time too only all the way up to the base of his tail.

The only other tank I have is a 6 gallon in storage and I'd be more worried about ammonia spikes in a new tank. If he's not better in a week then I'll get a smaller critter keeper for him (oh, he'll be so happy!). I'm thinking I need a stand light in that corner. The tank is up against this totally dark corner so when his tank is lit up he can see himself really, really well. I put white paper there but it almost seems like he's conditioned himself to flare there whether he can see himself or not. He might be looking at getting moved permanently if he keeps up with this.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #5 
kuklachica

Rather than putting up backgrounds you could make a wall of java moss... Once it grew in it would look beautiful and he wouldn't be able to see himself :)
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote