Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #1 
smallvle

feeding questions!!

okay, so i am getting confusing/ conflicting info from all over about feeing bettas. my first betta, Phinnegan (RIP) and my current betta Seuss i had tried (both) on the betta pellets. but this was before i knew that you have to soak them before feeding, though the brand i bought didn't say that on the box, and i was trying to get whatever info i could from the web. (this was waaaaay before i found this site.) anyway, both reacted the same. they would try and eat it and (obviously) couldn't so i had to take the pellets out and ended up tossing them and buying flakes. Phin did well on a (large) flake or two a day, though i really didn't research well, and he ended up dying from me being careless and not changing his water enough. Seuss (who now has a 2.5 gal heated, filtered and changed once a week tank,) gets 2-3 (large) betta flakes every morning and seems to do fine, though he would eat more if i let him.

my question is, it seems like no one on here feeds flakes, and i would like to know if the pellets are more nutritious/ healthier and if i should switch. also, how do i soak them? or should he get more than 2-3 flakes a day if i can keep him on those? i love this little guy and i'm trying to make up Phin's early death by doing everything right that i can for Seuss. thanx guys. : )
smallvle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:49 PM   #2 
xxabc

I feed my bettas pellets because
1) It's much easier to count
2) It's muchi easier to soak in garlic juice
3) It's a bit cleaner than flakes IMO.

But in terms of nutrition, flakes can be just as healthy as pellets (although I don't know good flake brands). Just so happens that pellets seem to be quite popular here.

A betta's stomach is as large as ONE of his eyes - that's a very good thumb of rule. Some bettas get more easily bloated than others, so that's also something to watch out for (however, easy bloating isn't too common).
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #3 
bigL35

I have 4 bettas and I feed them all pelets, flakes, and freeze dried blood worms. I heard a variety of foods is good for bettas so they dunt get bored or too much of a certain food, it seems to be doing me pretty well
bigL35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #4 
smallvle

hmm... i might try to switch to pellets, to see what happens. i feel like i'm starving him, but i'm afraid i'll over-feed him and he'll get sick. how many pellets would you guys recommend, how do you soak them, and where do i get garlic juice? (we don't really use any garlic in our house, maybe an occasional pinch of garlic powder) do you really need to use garlic juice? or is just water fine? thanx guys.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #5 
xxabc

I feed mine anywhere from 4-6 pellets a day. I'm not entirely strict with food schedules, but I do make sure to feed them their treats at least occasionally.

I use an un-used medicine up, and just get some tank water. I only fill it up probably 20%, no need for a full cup. I drop the pellets in, and mix it around with some new tweezers (using just fingers is annoying, haha).

Tank water can be just fine, however garlic has been proving itself to be pretty useful. Haven't had a sick fish in months, and torn fins seem to be nothing to me anymore. Although that might just be the water changes, I have noticed some overall improvement with them.

See if you can use fresh garlic cloves. If you can't ,try buying some garlic pre-diced at a local grocery. But if you can't get either of that (I'm in this predicament) then buy some garlic powder. It's not the best compared to the other two, but it does do something. Make sure it is absolutely 100% pure garlic and that there's 0% of anything else.

I soak for at least 30 seconds, no less. If you leave pellets in too long, you'll notice they puff up and get soggy, just fyi.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #6 
smallvle

good to know! thanx! i'll be going tank-shopping in the next week or two, so i'll look into pellets. thanx for all the info! : )
Old 04-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Does the minced kind in a jar have preservatives and stuff that wouldn't be good for fish?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #8 
xxabc

I've never actually seen them in real life. There are some people who DO use them, so there must be something that doesn't make them... "bad." Next time I go to the grocery, I'll sneak a peek at the ingredients.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:58 AM   #9 
randr206

hi,
can you explain how you doing the garlc juice?
and how exacly do you soak the pellets in it? (how much time...)
10x!
randr206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #10 
xxabc

Well it first depends how you get the garlic juice.

Get it: with Fresh Garlic Cloves
or Store Bought (usually it comes with garlic that is already diced up)
or Powdered Form (100% garlic, 0% anything else)

I'm not sure how to make garlic juice through fresh garlic cloves.

For powdered form, I take one medicine cup and fill it 25% with water, and pour in the powder. I do not pour enough so that it becomes chunky. It should still be somewhat watery.

For storebought, simply cup out a little amount of garlic juice as it should already be ... juicy. Haha.

To "soak" the pellets, simply drop them into whatever is holding the juice. Mix it around using tweezers or just fingers. Let it soak at least 30 seconds. I usually do no more than 2 minutes, although you could. If you leave it too long, sometimes it gets too bit and my bettas don't eat it.