Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #1 
BettaCee

Rotating Betta's between tanks?

Don't freak, I haven't done this, but I am wondering what the real negatives are if you do rotate your Betta's between tanks. I would think stress would be obvious, however it may not be as big a deal as I think. Do any of you have experience with this? I have two in 5 gal tanks and two in 3 gal totes. It would be nice to let them switch from big to small occasionally for a change of scenery. Just a thought. Disease could be another concern, and their territoriality.
I will not do this unless some of you have had positive experience with it. Instinct tells me "No"..but I am asking, politely, for opinions.
Thanks!
BettaCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #2 
creamcookie

Personally I think it would be too stressful to rotate tanks, as well as spreading disease. You should go with your instinct, "no"
creamcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #3 
BettaCee

Every now and again someone will post that they do this. That's why I'm asking. I do think "No" is most likely best.
BettaCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #4 
kikuhoshi

I kind-of rotate: my boy has a 1 at home and a here at school, and I go home every 3 days. He's not too stressed when we go home, but coming back, he gets a little mad being in such a small tank. I'd get another 1 for here, but they're expensive, and I can't imagine shelling that out when I'm only going to be doing the weekend thing for another month. Both my suitemates and my mother have offered to care for him while I'm gone, but I'm a bit possessive & enjoy him being so excited to see me, and I don't want to hoist him off on my mom like my brother did with his tarantula (I miss that girl). He's a lot better now than he was the first time, coming back, which is nice, and I'm looking at getting him a 10gal once I'm living at home "for good".
kikuhoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I wouldn't do it. They can get really stressed out when they notice they aren't in their same surroundings as before.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #6 
puppyrjjkm

Well I would say it's the same as if you change around decor. Either way it seems like new surroundings. I do rotate my bettas, they get a new section in a divided tank and new neighbors. It keeps them stimulated in my opinion. Sure, they'll be stressed while adjusting to the new environment, but it's better than being bored!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:18 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

I say don't do it. Bettas set up territories in their tanks and to take them out of one and into an entirely different environment would be really stressful. Eventually that stress will catch up to you.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:49 AM   #8 
Kaisa

i have a 10g divided in 4 and two 5g divided in 2 and i've never had any problems rotating my 8 males around after every water change (once a week). it gives them a change of scenery so their lives don't become so mundane and boring living in the same surroundings week after week. and if you;ve had your bettas for awihle you shouldn;t need to worry about spreading diesese.
Kaisa is offline   Reply With Quote