Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2010, 11:46 PM   #1 
smallvle

upgrading, need advice please!

so right now i have a 2.5 gal tank with a tetra whisper 3i filter (has crappy suction cups, don't buy it,) and i have found it floating in my tank twice now because the crappy suction cups let go. plus, my now 2.5 year old mini hydor heater is starting to die slowly. i was thinking of upgrading to the Marineland Eclipse Hex 5 tank, but everyone on here has said to just buy the 6 gal eclipse because there a some problems with the 5 gal and they have all upgraded. the 6 is a little more expensve than i wanted to spend, though if it's a good buy, i might get it. i guess what i'm asking is, is the Eclipse 6 a good buy? or is there something better for a little less?

i don't have room for anything larger than a 6 gal right now, and even that might be pushing it, though a 4 or 5 gal would be perfect. and i'm assuming it might be cheaper/ better to buy a kit than all the bits and pieces, though i did just replace my gravel and like my decorations, so all i might buy of that stuff is a little more gravel. the tank is in my bedroom, right by my head at night, so i'd need a fairly quiet filter too. any suggestions? (less than $50 would be great, though i definitly can't afford mugh higher than $60.)
smallvle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:51 PM   #2 
SaylorKennedy

I'd say if space and money are an issue, just buy a 5 gallon kit from Walmart. The filters they come with do an good job. All you would need is a heater, more gravel, decorations and you're good to go. :)

Eclipse are indeed nice, but it's up to you if you want to spend the money. Either are exceptional aquariums.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:58 PM   #3 
SaylorKennedy

Btw, you could also replace the things in your current setup. The Red Sea Deco Art Nano Filter is great! I just got it today and I already love it. Plus just get a new heater. I have a 50W in my 2.5 gallon and keeps it at a perfect 78. Actually is better for the heater to be bigger because it's off more than a smaller heater.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:58 PM   #4 
xxabc

I would not be able to sleep with a filter in my room ... if anything, I would just go with no filter and sleep well, and just be strong on water changes - if that's an option for you. Besides that, I'm not good on filter brands so I wouldn't be able to recommend anything.

I heard people had trouble cleaning the 5 hex because of it's height - and the corners made it harder to go into every single angle of the tank. That's all I've heard, although there may be more.

I always prefer longer over taller. Bettas are top-dwellers, so they swim back and forth and not so much up and down...or at least mine are like that. Is your house really that crowded that it cannot fit a 6 gallon? I'm not being rude or anything, though! Normally people don't make aquarium stands for 5 gallons because they're so "light-weight" compared to other fish tanks, that they can fit on almost any shelf, desk, or table. It's not until about 10 gallons or so that aquarium stands start to look nice in the case of "no room."

There is the Walmart 5 gallon kit for $30. Comes with tank, hood/lights, and filter. And various plants and food and conditioner, but I threw all of those out. They were useless, but it's nice consideration for the price!
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #5 
darkangel216

I agree with xxabc, if you have to go cheap then get the 5g kit from Walmart.
darkangel216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #6 
smallvle

thanx! i'll have to look at walmart! right now space is a big issue for me, because i have only one small spot on my dresser that gets just enought light without too much sun, and is pretty much perfect for my betta, not to mention it's the only space i have for a tank right now. i still (unfortunatly) live with my parents, and i would have no doubt in my mind that if i moved my tank out of my bedroom, my sister (or) brother would end up somehow killing Seuss. my sis comes home drunk many nights and absolutly hates me, so i wouldn't put it past her to drunkenly do something to him, and my brother, well, it wouldn't end well. so yes, space is an issue right now, not to mention i am really tight on money right now, and his filter and heater have just chosen the *perfect* financial time to die out.
: ( but i figured if i wanted to upgrade soon, why spend all the money on a new filter and heater if in a month or two i was going to buy a larger tank that comes with a heater and filter. and it sounds strange, but after about 6 months of sleeping with Seuss's filter bubbling by my bed, i can't sleep well other places without that noise. it's like an ocean-sound machine. : )
Old 04-29-2010, 01:51 AM   #7 
Starbright

I'm VERY biased towards Minibows, Eclipse, Aqueon, and those kinds of tanks. I think they look absolutely pristine and lovely :) (Altho they're not necessarily better than the glass aquariums!) I have one of those too!

I would get the 6 gallon. In my opinion, hex tanks look great but it's so hard to find your fish sometimes because of the weird angles :/ I have a 2gallon hex in storage that I used to use.
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:03 AM   #8 
LoneHowler

I have a aerogarden in my room and that thing is noisy but I hardly notice it anymore, noise from a filter shouldn't be too bad because it is constant and may fall into white noise which is good
LoneHowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:28 PM   #9 
smallvle

i had heard alot of good things about the eclipse tanks, so that's why i was thinking about going that route, but i'm in a bit of a financial pickle right now, so i'm going to go fish-shopping tomorrow and look into critter-keepers and walmart tanks; though come to think of it i don't think the walmarts closest to me have fish or fish stuff. hmm... i might need to go on a google hunt...
Old 04-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #10 
smallvle

oh! almost forgot! i don't cycle my tank right now (because it's so small and gets 50% water changes once a week, but would i need to cycle a 5 or 6 gallon?