Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #1 
Welsh

How many of you keep your bettas in a critter keeper?

I ask this question because I am desperately trying to find an affordable tank, I have just spent little under 300 on the setup of my 12 gall and really cant afford to buy an expensive tank for my betta. I thought he was doing fine in the 12 gall with the other fish but his fins are looking jagged and I am really worried. Plus, as the tanks are affordable I can have more bettas =)

Few questions

Are the critter keepers spacious? by this I mean can I put a ceramic pot, live plants in and the betta will still be able to swim freely?

Is it possible to put a light, if not what do you use?

Do you use heater or a filter?

Feel free to give any other information on these tanks?

Thanks =)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #2 
Jayy

i keep tyedye in large kitter keeper and plan to get more, they're great! i don't have a filter or heater but i going ti get one. not sure about lighting

Last edited by Jayy; 04-28-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #3 
TeenyTinyTofu

Critter keepers are fine, they make a 3.5 gallon and a 5 gallon one, so you can buy a larger, spacious one. They also make lights that attach to the little opening in the critter keeper. A filter won't be necesary with proper water changes, but you will need a heater.
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #4 
Welsh

How regular do you do water changes? I'm dreading how many bettas I am going to end up with, I have only had this one not even a week yet and im already hooked lol.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #5 
Welsh

What type of heaters do you use for critter keepers?
Old 04-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #6 
xxabc

Regular aquarium heaters. I don't see a need for a heater just for Critter Keepers ? As long as it fits, it should be just fine. The only thing that would bother me is the hood, but that's just my opinion. I have to have a tank with a hood and light attached, haha ...

The only "different" thing about critter keepers is that they are plastic, as opposed to glass or acrylic. If it's a 5 gallon, it will be 5 gallons, so everything you can put in *this* five gallon you should be able to put in *that* five gallon, unless it's a hex and a rectangular in comparison.

Heaters are necessary with bettas, so if you can't stick a heater in there, then don't get it unless it can be properly warmed up. But by the looks of it, I'm pretty sure this one can heat easy.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have never had a problem with heaters in my critter keepers
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:15 PM   #8 
Starbright

Kritter Keepers are amazing! They're so cheap and provide very suitable homes for betta fish :)

I've never had a problem with aquarium heaters in my kritter keepers, but since I find proper tanks more aesthetically pleasing, I switched to tanks with hoods/lights and the such ^^"
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:31 AM   #9 
Welsh

Yeah im not really keen on the look myself either but if their suitable for a betta then im sure its going to make a great temporary home for my little Aden =) I'll just have to learn to like the tank lol.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:30 AM   #10 
Jupiter

Critter Keepers are great. I have one that's around 2 gallons, and a 3.3 gallon one. They come in all different sorts of shapes and sizes.

The only 2 problems I have are that the hoods are usually hard to open/close, especially with a heater cord being jammed in there. They also scratch easily, since they're made of plastic.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote