Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

Fin not getting better???

When I got Spots (one of the rescue fish) he had damage to his caudal fin (tail). It didn't look like biting or rot but I've treated it as such.

Well its been about three weeks (or more) since I got these fish and I've see no improvement in Spots' tail. He is a white (or Cellophane) so it would be really easy to see if his tail was getting better (or worse) but its stayed exactly the same!

I didn't have a heater for him up until about a week ago so that could be why he wasn't healing but I've seen no improvement since he's been in a heated tank either.

Any ideas on how to get his fin to heal up? I've tried salt and water changes but nothing has happened. I don't see any signs of fin rot so I'm hesitant to try other medications. I'm positive its not biting either.

I'm stumped.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

The warmer water may help but if he is not getting worse and no sign of infection it may just be time. If the damage involved rays/bone it usually will not re-grow anyway and often depending on how bad it was the fin never look the same.
Have you added IAL or oak leaf to the water change/salt treatment? just a thought/idea.........got of pic of him...he sounds pretty even with the damage....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Can IAL extract be ordered anywhere? 1fish2fish, I dont mean to steal your thread.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

You can order it off line I know :). I haven't added any IAL or oak leaf but I'll make sure to get some this weekend and add it.

Here's a picture. He's a cute little guy for sure.

It doesn't show the damage.. I'll see if I can get a good pic of it tonight since I have to do water changes anyway.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:32 PM   #5 
doggyhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Can IAL extract be ordered anywhere? 1fish2fish, I dont mean to steal your thread.
DQ, you can get IAL for about 6 bucks including shipping off ebay. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:23 PM   #6 
Mister Sparkle

In the grand scheme of things, 3 weeks isn't really that long. It can sometimes take that long before the fish will recover to the point that it will BEGIN to heal! Keep doing what you're doing, which is providing as ideal of an environment as you can, and his chances at regrowing the fins will be as good as anyone else would ever be able to give him.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:42 PM   #7 
Kittles

Very nice fish. Looks like a stick of butter. I agree that with time and prime conditions he will most likely get better without the use of medication.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:51 PM   #8 
xxabc

One of my boys recently is healing more slowly than usual (he got it torn REALLY badly because of a stupid mistake on my part). It's really scary, because he is getting a little bit old, even though it's really not that old. He's probably nearing 2 years. But when I got him at the store, he was a lot bigger than the others ... but anyways, it's been 3 weeks and normally he heals just fine, but in this case, the tail is unbearably uneven. The fins don't look like they're growing back anymore, as if he's reached his limit in healing it. I'm still waiting though.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #9 
Kittles

Quote:
... but anyways, it's been 3 weeks and normally he heals just fine, but in this case, the tail is unbearably uneven. The fins don't look like they're growing back anymore, as if he's reached his limit in healing it. I'm still waiting though.
Boy, can I relate to this. Roy Cherry went through a phase of some serious tail biting and his tail never has quite recovered. It's been months, but it's still a little raggedy looking with the majority of it being uneven. Oh well, I too am still waiting.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:00 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

I've never had a fish take this long to heal. And I mean there is NO healing whatsoever. I check the fish everyday for wear and tear and write down everything in a fish log (I'm crazy I know).

I was really hoping to see improvement so I could start looking for a home for him. I may have to end up keeping him or finding someone willing to take on a tattered boy.