Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2014, 11:26 PM   #1 
Seki

Meet Patriot - would you like him?

While on the hunt for my dinner at Meijer, I walked past the pet section and saw four disgusting, murky cups sitting on the betta shelf. Certainly there can't be fish in those, I told myself, but like a horrible trainwreck, I couldn't look away. I wandered over to investigate... and saw dark shapes in the disgusting liquid they were passing off as "water". One of them was dead. The other three were... well... not in a good way. I could see shapes, but not really colors... until one of the bettas swam over to the front of the cup. He kept watching me and watching me... until I eventually picked him up and went to the register (forgot about dinner, too... oops). The cashier TIPPED THE CUP UPSIDE DOWN to get the stupid SKU, and didn't seem to even care that he had dumped out a bunch of water or that he had dazed the poor fish! But he survived his ordeal and made it home with me.

Sadly, I don't have room to permanently house this fish. I will be offering him up for adoption at no charge to a member of this forum (US only). There are conditions involved, however. I must be shown the prepared tank for him, complete with heater and decor, no less than 2 gallons. You must outline your water change schedule for me. You must outline your feeding schedule for me. I know this sounds kind of demanding, but I want to make sure he goes to a good home and is treated the way he deserves to be treated. And, he's free for you if you can meet my conditions!

Without further ado... meet Patriot, my little rescue~

At the store

His icky cup after the guy literally dumped half of it out ringing him up >:(

Grumpy gills after being netted into his QT. I didn't want ANY of that water in with him.

That darker patch you see on his tail is actually blue. But the lighting I have isn't the greatest.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:29 PM   #2 
Rosalinds

Poor guy, glad you rescued him from a horrible death. I bet his colors will look amazing once he gets the proper care (*hint hint* someone should take you up on your deal ;).
Rosalinds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:15 AM   #3 
BlueLacee

Location: Colorado Rockies, the Land of Skiing, Festivals, and Incredibly Rich
What a terrible thing!!! But he is stunning and I cannot wat for him to color up. I wish I could take him
BlueLacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:19 AM   #4 
Seki

His blue is already darkening~ I think he'll end up with messy bands of red, white, and blue! He's gonna be a real looker, it's a shame I can't keep him! But with the new blind rescue, I'm just full-up right now.

We'll see what a nutritious meal does for him tomorrow, see if his color won't pop a bit more. ^_^
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:46 AM   #5 
Litzi1964

Speak up for Patriot, Colby, Mulberry and the others

Where do you live? I live in Naperville IL and I have now emailed Meijer customer care twice about their bettas' conditions. The Meijer I go to is on Rt. 59 in Aurora IL. Please speak up to improve their conditions. You can email CustomerCare@meijer.com and file a written complaint about Meijer's mistreated bettas. I was in Meijer on Friday and here are some photos of what I saw
Litzi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:57 AM   #6 
Litzi1964

Photos

Lets try again
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2014, 01:02 AM   #7 
Litzi1964

Another picture

Another one
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2014, 01:05 AM   #8 
Litzi1964

More pictures

I have no idea why these are appearing upside down
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2014, 01:05 AM   #9 
Sabina88

Poor boy, its a good thing you took him home. I can't waitto see how he turn out, I bet he'll look amazing
Sabina88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:08 AM   #10 
Litzi1964

Anyone who shops at Meijer, if you see mistreated fish at Meijer please photograph them and email CustomerCare@meijer.com