Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2014, 12:11 AM   #11 
Seki

Ugh those are very much like the cups I saw. I took a couple pictures of them... not that you can see much for the murkiness of the water. I live in Ohio, and I just might send them a complaint. Maybe Meijer will stop carrying bettas, who knows?

Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:47 AM   #12 
Tsukikoi

He is really cute! I don't have a Meijer's near me at all. Funny thing is my petsmart DEGRADED their Betta care quality. They used to have clean water (which I actually saw the employees change multiple times per week), only slightly malnourished fish, Alive betas. Now they moved the betas out of the fish department and to by the entrance. The water is cloudy and yellow, multiple dead fish, and multiple cups are filled with blue stuff. It's plain horrid.

Anyway, I wont have any available tanks until two weeks from now No more betas for me at the moment :/ (mom's already going crazy enough about 5 tanks, wait till I have 7.)
Tsukikoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:05 AM   #13 
Fishybitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukikoi View Post
and multiple cups are filled with blue stuff.
I'm pretty sure that might be quick cure? its for ick :)
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:37 AM   #14 
Tsukikoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishybitty View Post
I'm pretty sure that might be quick cure? its for ick :)
I wonder what the dosing is for that? It's to such a dark blue I cant see the fish.
Thing is though, it might be because they cant really get good sales from their betas. A petco is a few blocks away, literally down the hill, with an array of beautiful healthy betas. This petsmart is basically only carrying blues and reds, and you know, dead's.
Tsukikoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:27 AM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The blue stuff is actually methylene Blue and is beneficial for the fish. It is what you use to help oxygen to the cells to cure ammonia and nitrite poisoning. So it's actually good if you see the water blue, it's not an all cure or preventative but it certainly will help!

Good on you Seki, he looks fantastic! I really hope someone adopts him and lets his colors shine! He's going to be a real looker one day!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #16 
CNDBETTAS

Hey there, AWESOME job on the rescue!! How is he holding up?? Any luck on finding a new home?? ID love to take him! Shipping might kill me tho. I dont know how much it would be but I just cant drop 35 + at the moment on shipping. If you still need a home for him in 2 weeks or so though I might be able to take him. I can easily meet your criteria as well.
CNDBETTAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #17 
Seki

Hey thanks for the encouragement, guys! It's very fulfilling to me to grab a betta who was wasting away on the shelves and put him into clean water and feed him top-quality food. Patriot is settling well, and he has even begun flaring at me! His fins were never really clamped to begin with (which shows me either he wasn't there very long, or he adapted to the level of ammonia in his cup... which was over 4 PPM!), but his colors have brightened a little bit, and he is plenty active, even in his little QT tank!

CND - No one has offered to take him yet, you are the first! I am sure he will probably be here for the next two weeks (with daily partial water changes haha, the joys of keeping a betta in QT), and if so, I'm sure he'd love to come and live with you! I am in Ohio, so shipping to AZ is probably going to be a bit pricey, but I'm willing to do it if it means an awesome home for Patriot! I'm sure he can't wait for a 2 gallon (or larger!) of his very own~
Old 07-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If you go with Priority and get a Priority Flatrate box, it should only be around 6 dollars. But if you want Express then that's where it gets expensive. I've only ever shipped fish through Priority and I've had no DOA's as of yet (knock on wood) and I've shipped tons of fish by now! Especially in this weather, it's nice and easy since you do't have to worry about heat packs and stuff, just double bagged, rolled in paper towel and some insulation in the box and he's set to go! :)
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #19 
Litzi1964

Seki, since you got Patriot in Ohio and I live in Illinois, then apparently the conditions Meijer keeps their fish in are not unique to one location. This is a systemic problem. I urge you to email CustomerCare@meijer.com and report the conditions and cashier treatment of their bettas.

Last edited by Litzi1964; 07-01-2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: New info
Litzi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #20 
Seki

Oh, that's not bad at all! I can even cover that, no big deal if it's so little. My biggest concern will be him getting to his location safe and sound! I've never shipped before, so I'm sure my first shipped fish will be my biggest source of anxiety! Priority should get him there in two days, is that right? And Express is overnight?

Almost forgot his pic update! These are from very early this morning (yaaaay insomnia), so I'll probably update with more from later today. But I HAVE to share his flaring pics!