Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #21 
CNDBETTAS

Well, if thats the case, Id LOVE to have him! I prefer the5.5 gal. Tanks over the others. Id still have to wait the two weeks till payday so I can buy the new tank and filter. I have an extra heater for now too. I will let you know when Im ready to get all his new stuff before I get it to make sure you still have him and we can figure out shipping later. Obviously, if you find a new home sooner then by all means let them adopt him. But for now, Ill start planning on adopting him :)
CNDBETTAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #22 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes you are correct, 2 day for MOST area's. Sometimes it takes three day's shipping from RI to CA lol but that's across the US! There will be no issue from Ohio to AZ!

You can either order a box online at USPS.com and they ship it free, it's all free! And then use that box to ship him out. Many times the PO won't have those boxes in stock because they are so popular and for some reason they can't order them theirselves, they can only order certain boxes/evelopes. So I would take a look in your Post Office first and see what they have in stock.

This is the one I use: https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...=priority-mail

And generally shipping is under 8 bucks if you keep the liquid under 13 ounces. I only put in enough water that the fish can stay upright in the back is tilted any which way. I also only use small bags so the larger the bag, generally the more water so try to use small bags if you can. I just use my leftover PetCo bags generally or other ones I've gotten fish shipped in :)

BTW, his flare is absolutely adorable!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #23 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNDBETTAS View Post
Well, if thats the case, Id LOVE to have him! I prefer the5.5 gal. Tanks over the others. Id still have to wait the two weeks till payday so I can buy the new tank and filter. I have an extra heater for now too. I will let you know when Im ready to get all his new stuff before I get it to make sure you still have him and we can figure out shipping later. Obviously, if you find a new home sooner then by all means let them adopt him. But for now, Ill start planning on adopting him :)
Oh, fantastic!! I'm so excited to have potentially found him a home! Two weeks will give him a bit of time to get some quality food and destress from the poison cup he was in, too, which will be great. I will plan on him going to you, YAY! He'll be SO excited to have a five gallon of his very own! I'll keep you updated on his condition and hopefully he'll be swimming with you by the end of the month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Yes you are correct, 2 day for MOST area's. Sometimes it takes three day's shipping from RI to CA lol but that's across the US! There will be no issue from Ohio to AZ!

You can either order a box online at USPS.com and they ship it free, it's all free! And then use that box to ship him out. Many times the PO won't have those boxes in stock because they are so popular and for some reason they can't order them theirselves, they can only order certain boxes/evelopes. So I would take a look in your Post Office first and see what they have in stock.

This is the one I use: https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...=priority-mail

And generally shipping is under 8 bucks if you keep the liquid under 13 ounces. I only put in enough water that the fish can stay upright in the back is tilted any which way. I also only use small bags so the larger the bag, generally the more water so try to use small bags if you can. I just use my leftover PetCo bags generally or other ones I've gotten fish shipped in :)

BTW, his flare is absolutely adorable!
lol Thanks! He's pretty proud of himself, I think. He didn't even need a mirror, he just flared right up at my fingers!

Thank you for all the info! I will call my PO and see what they have in stock or what they need ordered for me. I will also inquire as to their policy on liquids and such, but fish shipping seems to be common, so I can't imagine it should be an issue. I have old Petsmart bags that my guppies and gourami and snails came in. Are those alright to use?
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #24 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You will have to declare your are shipping a live fish in water but generally water isn't an issue ^_^ some PO's are real pains in the butt, I've heard some interesting stories. Thankfully all my PO's are really nice people and trust me so that helps! But just let them know that it is legal if they ask about shipping live animals. You can also write LIVE FISH or just LIVE on the box and generally I find carriers are more careful with the box than if you just put FRAGILE; they really don't give a poop which sucks.

Another thing, if the receiver wants (so CND in this case) and doesn't have a PO box but also doesn't want the box to sit out on the porch if they won't be home before noon or something, you can write on the box "HOLD AT OFFICE" but make sure you also write LIVE somewhere, otherwise they get suspicious. I had that happen with some Grindal Worms I ordered, they actually kept the package in the furthest room just in case it was some sort of explosive! So put their minds at ease and write live or live fish somewhere! lol But that way, the receiver can pick up at the office any time before closing if they want to! Otherwise, it just goes to their door ^_^

EDIT: oh and yes, those bags are fine! Just keep as little air in them as you can and double bag them! I like to tie mine although some people just use rubberbands or tiewraps, tying is much more secure IMO and then double bagged is always the safest way to go.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #25 
CNDBETTAS

I think He will be VERY happy in the new set up! I like to set them up as nice as I can. Heres a few pics of the setups my two boys are in now. The colorful one is my 3 year old sons HalfMoon tank (me and his momma obviously take care of "Fish" lol but we wanted it to be colorful and fun because it is HIS after all) and the other is our new Betta "Rocco's" tank. Both are 5.5 gal. Heated and filtered. Ill end up setting up "Patriots" tank similar to "Rocco's" tank :)
Old 07-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #26 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh, they didn't post CND!
Old 07-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #27 
CNDBETTAS

Here is my sons HalfMoon tank. My son named him "Fish" lol. Its a little more colorful and cartoon-like.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #28 
CNDBETTAS

And here is "Rocco"s tank. Sorry they didnt post in the first post.. Still getting used to posting pictures on here lol
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #29 
CNDBETTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
You will have to declare your are shipping a live fish in water but generally water isn't an issue ^_^ some PO's are real pains in the butt, I've heard some interesting stories. Thankfully all my PO's are really nice people and trust me so that helps! But just let them know that it is legal if they ask about shipping live animals. You can also write LIVE FISH or just LIVE on the box and generally I find carriers are more careful with the box than if you just put FRAGILE; they really don't give a poop which sucks.

Another thing, if the receiver wants (so CND in this case) and doesn't have a PO box but also doesn't want the box to sit out on the porch if they won't be home before noon or something, you can write on the box "HOLD AT OFFICE" but make sure you also write LIVE somewhere, otherwise they get suspicious. I had that happen with some Grindal Worms I ordered, they actually kept the package in the furthest room just in case it was some sort of explosive! So put their minds at ease and write live or live fish somewhere! lol But that way, the receiver can pick up at the office any time before closing if they want to! Otherwise, it just goes to their door ^_^

EDIT: oh and yes, those bags are fine! Just keep as little air in them as you can and double bag them! I like to tie mine although some people just use rubberbands or tiewraps, tying is much more secure IMO and then double bagged is always the safest way to go.

No need to worry about the "Hold at office". If Im not home my Wife will be! I find it MUCH easier on the wallet to have my wife be a stay at home mommy as opposed to paying for daycare or whatever so Patriot DEFINITELY wont be sitting outside :) no worries there!
Old 07-01-2014, 03:53 PM   #30 
Litzi1964

Great minds think alike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNDBETTAS View Post
Here is my sons HalfMoon tank. My son named him "Fish" lol. Its a little more colorful and cartoon-like.
Your halfmoon tank is virtually identical to my Glo-fish tank! It's presently in my foyer but will go in my 8 yr old's room after it's painted (the room, not the tank)
Attached Images

Litzi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote