Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2010, 10:22 PM   #11 
sjones

Introducing "Clampy"

I think I'm going to name him Clampy since he likes to stay clamped.
I thought I'd give an update.
Today I did a 100% water change as Clampy's tank was looking foggy and there was oil film on top. I did a 40% change two days ago, and I set up the tank 5 days ago.
I researched this forum and for water changes I think it's best for me to do cold water as using hot or warm water would take water from my hot water heater tank which may have metals in it...I use Splendid Betta water conditioner, enough for 3 gallons
It took a few hours to heat the water up to Clampy's water temp which dropped to 72 while he was out of the tank. I used a light and a space heater in the room.
Tank had been maintaining at 75 degrees with a hydor 7.5 watt heater, I'm not impressed by it, but bought 2 tetra and hydor whisper style mini heaters from both walmart and petsmart and neither worked... so I have ordered a stealth online for 28$ (pricey!) I am perplexed by others recommendations if the aforementioned heaters, methinks they are not good..
I know the tank is cold and maybe this is why Clampy stays clamped but in the past i have had two betta (about ten years ago) and they never had heaters and were very active...
Clampy can't eat betta pellets or large blood worms unless I split them up, i am wondering if he is small (I have no comparism) and maybe young or just sickly or clampy. I did check him for disease symptoms and compared him with pictures of betta illnesses and I don't think he has anything obvious. His body and head are very grey in color.
I bought him because he was all clamped in the tank and I though he was going to die.
He does come to me when I approach the tank, he moves around but not a lot.
I can't wait to get the new heater-I hope it works,
I will post pictures in a minute-if you have any anti-clamping advice I would welcome it...
HERE HE IS IN FULL CLAMP MODE

Last edited by sjones; 05-02-2010 at 10:34 PM.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #12 
sjones

HERE IS NEW TANK SET UP..

HIDNG BEHIND THE HEATER.:(
Old 05-02-2010, 11:53 PM   #13 
sjones

Fin rot?

Actaully now I am thinking he may have fin rot? His two front fins look have a long white spine coming out of them. I thought he was just clamped..
Old 05-04-2010, 02:38 AM   #14 
streetlightdawn

The white spine things, are they on the ventral fins or the pectoral fins? If on the ventral fins (the ones that hang down), that's pretty normal. Both of my bettas have them and are fine. Fin rot will look more like tears or frays in the fins. He also might just be freaked out because he is in a new home. My betta stayed hidden behind a plant for about 6 days when I first got him; you should probably get some more plants and a hiding place to make him feel more secure. It might also be because he's cold. Good job on gettin the new heater, I hope it helps when it arrives.
If he is having a hard time eating, try breaking the pellet up into smaller pieces and soaking them for a bit before feeding them to him so that way he has an easier time consuming them
streetlightdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #15 
sjones

It is on the ventrals
I went to some "petstores" (ugh) (I loathe the conditions bettas are kept in)
to look at some other bettas today and most had normal ventrals, but some did have the spiney white things coming out although not as pronounced as my fish
You think this is normal? His other fins look good!
I think I'm going to do the aquarium salt 1 tsp per gallon 100% water changes for ten days in any case as recommended on the betta disease thread just in case...
I will be getting him some plants & and trying to find a hidey cave for sure!
Thank you for the info, I hope it is indeed alright.

Last edited by sjones; 05-04-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #16 
sjones

Great news!
I changed his tank today and found a huge bubble nest under the lid! I was shocked. He did this in one day.
I put him in the aquarium salt and also added a new plant to his digs.
I have to file it down with a nail file though as it was a "silk" plant from petco but it has sharp little nubs on it.
As I am going to be doing the daily changes witht he aquarium salt I only put 2 gallons in.
I have mastered the art of water changes by filling two gallon jugs with cold tap water and salting them and letting them sit overnight.
Then I placed them in a sink full of hot water to heat them up to the aquarium's temperature, added water conditioner and poured them into the tank and re added my betta.
He loves his new tank and I am renaming him "Lotus" as he has finally unclamped. Of course I think I will still call him Clampy a lot.
He is so beautiful, I have to admit i was getting jealous over all the good looking betta on here, but he has a beautiful lacey looking spotted tail. ANd his color is coming in, his body is turning red form grey.
One thing I did was hold a mirror up to him the other day in order to try to get a good picture. I think making him flalr reminded him that he has room enough to unclamp his fins. I am thinking a little flalring is good exercise!
I am still waiting on my stealth heater to arrive in the mail but in the meantime have been covering his tank at night with a towel. This really keeps the temperature up!
Anyways I am thrilled over his huge bubble nest!
Here are some pictures with my horrible blurry camera!

Old 05-04-2010, 11:44 PM   #17 
streetlightdawn

Yay! He certainly is beautiful! From what I can tell in the pictures, his fins look really good and his coloring is gorgeous. I'm so glad that he has unclamped haha. It sounds like you're doing a really good job with him, he was probably just getting used to his surroundings. Keep on excercising him, about 10 minutes a day or every couple of days. Make sure not to do it too long though. Congratulations on the bubble nest!
streetlightdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:35 AM   #18 
sjones

Thanks! it is encouraging!
Old 05-08-2010, 11:58 PM   #19 
sjones

Heater Update!

I just wanted to update this thread and tell everyone that I just got my stealth heater in the mail today (25 watt) It was $28 and works perfectly. Clampy (aka Lotus) and I have the tank currently at 82 (is this too high?, we're enjoying the luxury of it!)
I have also been doing water changes every other day with the aquarium salt (I know I was going to do everyday but I think he does not actually have fin rot on his ventrals...) the white spiny things on his ventrals seems to be growing fins on the again ( all this in a few days) and Clampy seems to love the aquarium salt.
I am wondering how long I should use the salt for. I am doing 1 tsp per gallon.
In any case he is a totally different fish than the clamped lil' guy I pitied at the "pet store", and i have this forum to thank.
I hope to get some good pictures soon.
Clamp on!

Last edited by sjones; 05-09-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:18 AM   #20 
Mister Sparkle

SWEET!!! 8)

82's just fine! You're doing good!

Every other day changes...if it's working, and he's healing...NO PROBLEM!

Use the salt for another two weeks or so. And then phase it out. Unless you see any other issues with his fins, that is.

Clampy's got it made, and he's got YOU to thank.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote