Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #1 
Tinthalas Tigris

Featherlike Growth on Betta's Anus

This betta is normally quite outgoing. I noticed him being a little bit shy today, and hiding under a roock. He decided to come up for some air because I was paying particular attention to him.

When he decided to show himself, I noticed this strange growth on his anus. it *almost* looks like a wound. The molly he shares the tank with has known to be a little agressive, so it is possible it is a wound from her. The other female bettas in the tank have never flared at him, so I don't think it is a wound from either of them. Nor does he tend to flare at them, either.
Attached Images

Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #2 
ecoprincess

Wth?
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:45 PM   #3 
Maryrox247

Hmm i think its a fungus. By the way your betta is a she!

Edit: Your betta may be a young male due to the long pelvic fins.
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:22 AM   #4 
Tinthalas Tigris

oof... god... the mention of the word.. fungus.... and I've done too many changes to their tank in the last week for me to isolate the exact trigger.

Well, time to start eliminating.

I put her/him (what makes you say it is a female? because I thought that as well, but she doesn't have an ovipositor, and she HATES the other males with a passion) in the quarantine tank, but I don't have a HEATER IN THE quarantine TANK.

Dosed it with salt, ahoping that might be enough for starters... I'm really concerned that I don't have a heater in there. The water is 72 degrees.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #5 
kuklachica

IMO those look like internal worms protruding from the anus. This is what it looks like to me: Camallanus cotti and Camallanus lacustris. Scroll down until you find it.

Here is a pic:

If this is, in fact, what it is, you need to get on this quick! It is going to spread to everyone!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #6 
Tinthalas Tigris

I have since Quarantined the apparantly afflicted betta. I am having trouble finding fenbendazole in a form of/other than Panacur available on Amazon.com with a means of being implimented other than to dogs, cats, or horses.

What product should I purchase? Can I purchase Panacur for dogs, crush it, and then add it to blood worm administration in that way?
Old 04-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #7 
kuklachica

When I thought I had internal worms, I was told to treat all of my fish with this. It can spread by just using the same supplies (syphons, etc), or even a drop of water. You'll need to treat your whole tank. If you google "levamisole + fish" you'll come up with some forums and articles about dosing it down for tanks.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

There is a medicine called levamisole(sp?) that is an anti parasitic med for fish. Also, I think Jungle labs makes an anti parasitic food, a pellet that your betta may not eat. It can be soaked i garlic juice.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:24 PM   #9 
kuklachica

Yes, Jungle does make a pellet with the levamisole in it. My betta didn't touch it! It has VERY little levamisole, and since your worms are already protruding from the anus, I think the water treatment would probably be most effective.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #10 
Tinthalas Tigris

I'm going with fenbendezole if I can get my hands on it. Everything I've read about these particular worms is that they are nothing like any other parasite out there, and are highly resistant to the majority of antibiotics. They are 100% worms, and needed to be treated with a 100% anti-worming agent.

I am sticking with fenbendezole int he form of panacur. Luckily, the medication isn't too expensive, and it is a very very practical means of administering it. I just have to find panacur in powdered form and confirm that the canine/horse variety can be given directly to fish.

I also need to figure out the exact measurement equivalent to 3ccs (the primary amoutn to treat a whole aquarium).