Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #1 
newfishmom

Progress?

Last night and this morning Roscoe at least put some pellets in his mouth. But...he is spitting them right back out. I have read if the food is to big they might do this? But Peep is MUCH smaller than him and she doesn't have any problem! Maybe he is just picky and doesn't like the menu? At least he is acting like he will start eating {after 1 week}
newfishmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #2 
Welsh

I'm having the same problem with my betta, he's as picky with food as I am lol. Oldfishlady answered a thread of mine when I was concerned about Aden not eating, she suggested I try adding fresh garlic juice to the food, I havent yet tried it but most people on this forum seem to do the same and it works.

Heres the thread, I dont know if it will help.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=41914
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #3 
newfishmom

I had read this when you posted it! I have been thinking about it and wondering if I can make my own garlic juice? I have the garlic...we'll see? Has you fishy started eating yet?
Old 04-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #4 
Welsh

Yeah I was wondering the same, I have no clue how to go about making the juice.lol.

No he still hasnt eaten anything =( I got excited yesterday when I saw him eat a little flake but then seconds later he spat it back out. Hes looking really scrawny too lol.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #5 
newfishmom

Ok, just googled how to make the juice. Tried it. Uhhh..best wait to just buy the stuff. I smell VERY garlicy right now! I did put a pellet or two into the mess that I made and offered it to Roscoe. He looked at it and seemed to say "Your kidding me right?" But Buster gobbled it right up. I think he would eat anything "the claw" offered. {every time I feed the fishies I think of the movie Toy Story and those little green squeek toys in the game. When the claw would start working all of them would look up and say "OOOOooooo"}
Old 04-29-2010, 09:07 AM   #6 
Welsh

" The Claw" I like it =) Everytime I feed fish I'm going to have that image in my head haha.

Is Roscoe a new betta? maybe he is just still settling in, thats what im putting my bettas eating disorder down to anyway, plus he seems to have fin rot according to Bettafishcrazy so any wonder he is depressed and not eating lol.

Do you reckon the tubed garlic puree would work with a little water mixed in? it would resemble some sort of juice right? lol. Not the whole tube obviously, cant imagine what he would smell like lol.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #7 
newfishmom

I brought Roscoe home last Thursday. He ate fine Thursday night and then ate one pellet Friday morning. But...he was VERY VERY freaked out! Hiding, trying his best to get away no matter what. He has gotten better with the freaked out part, just not eating. I am putting it down to being new too. His fins are clamped but this morning I am thinking they are starting to unclamp a bit. Or maybe that is just what I am hoping. I can't wait to see what he looks like all puffed up. His fins are orange {almost the same color as my flowerpot that is in there} with a bit of blue at the ends. I think he will be very pretty, once he UNCLAMPS! {stupid fish} haha
Old 04-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #8 
newfishmom

About the garlic paste/water juice. I don't know. I ended up taking the ground up/pressed down garlic and putting it in a coffee filter then putting it in a small bowl with a bit of water in the bottom. Basicly probably the same thing you are taking about. I know IT SMELLS IN HERE NOW!
Old 04-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #9 
Luchi

What brand pellet are you feeding your betta? Mine is a little terror and would gulp them spit them back out until I tried different brands. Most LOVE Hikari brand.
Luchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #10 
Welsh

I got mine last Thursday too and until Tuesday I rarely saw him, he was constantly hiding in the plants just swimming back and forth but now hes braver and comes to the front :) I'm sure I read people feed there bettas a thawed pea, or maybe thats for snails, nonetheless I'm going to try it, already got a slice of cucumber in there for my mystery snail it'll be like a giant salad bowl before long lol.

Good luck with Roscoe =) post pics of him, he sounds gorgeous and I havent seen an orange one yet lol =)