Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2010, 02:41 AM   #1 
brancasterr

nitrite levels not subsiding...

I'm stilllll cycling my 10g. The nitrites appeared about 8 days ago and steadily increased until they were off the charts. Problem is...they keep increasing! The color that the water turns when tested isn't even a dark purple anymore like the highest level on the chart...it's now a really light purple almost red. What is going on? Is this normal? I just want it to be complete! I can throw 4-5 ppm of ammonia in the tank and the bacteria will suck it up in less than 24 hours but the nitrite is just chillin'.
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #2 
1fish2fish

Have your nitrates showed up yet? If not you just have to wait it out. What is your water temp? If you bump up the temp a little it will help the bacteria reproduce faster IMO
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #3 
brancasterr

My nitrates showed up about 2 days after the nitrite did and the temp is about 80 I believe.

The water has evaporated about 2 inches since I started the cycle. Would it be safe to top it off? That would probably dilute the amount of nitrite in there.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

yeah your fine to top it off. Try bumping the temp up to 84-86 if you can (you don't have fish in right?)
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #5 
BerkB33

Had a 45 gallon tall that I was cycling about a year ago. It did the same thing yours is doing...got to a high level of nitrites and stayed there? Found that the water didn't have enough circulation and aeration...installed a power head to move water...cycled immediately!! Is that a possibility?
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #6 
brancasterr

1fish2fish, no fish but unfortunately I have a heater thats preset to 78. I can't turn it up.

BerkB33, I wonder if that is possible...hmm. I wish I had a power head. Haha.

Also, I am testing off the chart nitrites AND nitrates. What is going on?! Is this normal? Or should I be doing something about it?
The ammonia eating bacteria are thriving very nicely though. They can chew through any ammonia I put in there very quickly. I bet if I put in a gallon they would eat it (joking!)
Old 04-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #7 
BerkB33

Circulating the tank did the trick for me...does your tank have good circulation now? What you were just saying in the last post is the way mine went down also. I couldn't figure why it wasn't "breaking" after so long with high nitrites? Put in the power head...about two hours later the water tested good...a little high on the nitrates...but good. Try an air stone if nothing else? Good Luck.

Oh, and I had to do a water change almost immediately after it cycled...nitrates were high...you may have to do the same.

Last edited by BerkB33; 04-27-2010 at 06:47 PM.
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:34 PM   #8 
brancasterr

Yeah, it's supposed to be high on the nitrates after the cycle but my nitrites won't go away! :P I have a regular filter in there and it seems to have good circulation but maybe it isn't enough. Maybe I should add an airstone. I'll probably wait a couple more days though to see if it will go down naturally.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #9 
Mister Sparkle

Do a 20% water change. I'll bet everything evens out within a day or two after that.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:14 PM   #10 
brancasterr

I'm doing the 20% water change now. Hopefully that works.

Is it alright if I overdosed a little on the Prime water conditioner? I was treating 2 gallons and it says 5ml per 50 gallons. So that would be 1ml per 10 gallons and 0.2ml per 2 gallons. I think I put in like 0.4ml. Is this okay?