Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #1 
Cloelia

Gareth is getting worse

Tank: 1 gal. Temp: 75. Water changes: usually weekly, but since he's gotten sick, daily. Additives: Top Fin water conditioner. Filtration: none. All param. seem normal.

So, on Saturday (5 days ago), I changed Gareth's water, but I noticed he hadn't been eating much, if anything before that. After I put him in the new water, he stopped eating all-together, and he was more afraid of me (he's usually very friendly). He was also floating at a 45-degree angle, but he was able to right himself while he was actually swimming. His water temperature was a little low, but he had done fine over the winter when our heating wasn't working right (and he doesn't have a heater). Since he got sick, I found ways to keep his water temperature up (and pretty steady). Anyway, I figured maybe he was just constipated, and hoped it would go away, since he wasn't showing any other symptoms.

Anyway, yesterday morning, when I woke up and turned on the light to see how he was doing, I noticed a huge red spot on his side. It's about 2/3 of the height of his body, and when viewed from above, I could see that it's bulged out and the scales just over that part are sticking up.

I'm not an expert, but this sounds bad. Is it too late for me to do anything? What does it sound like it could be?
Cloelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Could you take a picture of him? How often do you do water changes? Do you have a heater? They should be in a constant 76-80*F.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:31 PM   #3 
Cloelia

I already listed what you have asked.

Here are some pictures. They're not all that clear, but it shows the spots. (By the way, his tail is fine, I just caught him in the middle of turning, and he doesn't live in the plastic cup. I just put him there while changing his water).
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #4 
Cloelia

By the way, people, water temperature is NOT my problem. Please stop suggesting that. It's not helpful. I've had him for a year and a half at the same temperature, and his problems started less than a week ago.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

What happened to his back tail? It looks like he's missing the whole thing. I'm not suggesting anything, I'm just asking questions to figure out what could be the issue. It looks like his scales are raised a little in the second picture. Do they look pine-coney?
Old 04-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #6 
Cloelia

Seriously? I wrote that in the post. I caught him in the middle of doing a turn. His tail is fine.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #7 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Ok. Sorry, it looked like he didn't have a back tail. I know you said that the scales were raised where the bump was, but are the scales pine-coning his whole body or anywhere else?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:06 PM   #8 
Cloelia

I'm sorry, I'm just frustrated and I don't know what's wrong with him.

The scales are only raise on the spot. The rest of him is normal.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:47 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Usually when you have a localized area that is inflamed/red with raised scales it can either be an injury or external parasites.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #10 
BettaxFishxCrazy

It's ok, I understand. :) The reason why I asked if his scales were raised on his whole body was because than it would mean he has dropsy. I've never dealt with injuries or external parasites. One of my fish had internal parasites and it was nasty. Have you see him slam up against something or try to "rub" something off his body? If they have external parasites, they'll try to get it off and "rub" up against anything which could lead to swelling.