Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #1 
themeparkfreak17

Betta Tail Curling And Loss Of Appetite

Is my betta sick? He is in a 2 gallon bowl that stays at 78 degrees. There is no filter, and I've had him for four weeks now so cycling is almost over. I do a 50-75% water change once a week. Please help I will be going to Petsmart next weekend for turtle supplies so I could get some BettaFix if I need to.

Name:  105_0165.JPG
Views: 454
Size:  55.2 KB
themeparkfreak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #2 
themeparkfreak17

Oh. Before anyone gets started on chlorine...I use Top Fin Water Conditioner.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:58 PM   #3 
Mister Sparkle

4 weeks doesn't say that cycling is almost over. Tracking your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels is what tells you where you are.

You have 2 gallons, without filtration. You need to be changing the water more often. Small aquariums are my thing...believe me! The more changes you are doing, the better. I'm going just off your fish's appearance, which can be incredibly deceiving, but I'm guessing we are looking at ammonia levels of 2.0 parts-per-million. That's capable of doing serious damage to your little scaly friend.

You don't need BettaFix (which is just "new-betta-owner-pickpocket"). You need fresh water. Do a Google search: "Lee's sponge filter round". Lee is your new best friend. Get one, and an air pump. WTG on the temps, though! That's usually the hardest part to convince people of.

Water changes, water changes, water changes...new filtration...a little luck...and your little guy should be right as rain!
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:53 AM   #4 
themeparkfreak17

thank you for the help. I guess your are right about the cycling. I'm basing it off of a filtered large turtle tank from my experience. I know that filtration is one thing I'm not getting because I already spend enough money on other filters. I will just keep doing more water changes. Also what exactly is the possible sickness that my fish has. I realize its probably the ammonia causing it, but i just want to know whats wrong with it too. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2010, 01:02 AM   #5 
Mister Sparkle

My first instinct is that he's suffering from ammonia-poisoning. The gills would be the first to suffer damage.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I agree with Mister Sparkle, ammonia.....in a 2g container the ammonia can start to rise in 3 days provided that the fish was not over fed and all uneaten food was removed after feedings.

Without filtration or some source of aeration you will not get a true cycle per se', regardless of aeration in that size container more water changes are needed as Mister Sparkle posted.

IMO/E-2g needs at least twice weekly 50% water changes with a filter and without filtration water changes need to be one 50% and one 100% weekly to provide quality water and prevent most illness and fin issues......

As stated.....water change, water change..etc......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote