Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2010, 04:52 AM   #1 
Firefly

Question Water changes for my Betta

I have a 16.6 gallon tank. it has been running for about 3 weeks. I got my Betta on friday and on saturday i went to my local fish store to ask them to test my water, my pH was perfect but my nitrites were a bit high. I was doing a fishless cycle and added nothing except some snails which emerged like a week ago after adding more live plants. My filter has the following sponges: 1 white filter wool, 1 carbon sponge, 1 green nitrate remover sponge and one blue fine or rough(dont know which) filter sponge. I am wondering why would my nitrates be high, or above 0 if ive had barely anything in my tank except live plants, driftwood and some snails? I also did like 3 or 4 small water changes this past 3 weeks its been running, but only to reduce the tannins in the water. Small being 20%. Will the nitrites go away? The lady at my fish store said they should
Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:23 AM   #2 
Welsh

Nitrite indicates a problem with the filtering. . Just look after the filter and see if that settles down. Extra aeration may help as the cycle bacteria need oxygen to do their thing. The extra water changes that you need to control the nitrate will also help the nitrite level temporarily untill the filter settles down.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #3 
Firefly

:) okay thanks, ill look into that. Ill also get a new white sponge, the one thats meant to drain out large particles because its completely brown since i first filled my tank and it myt be clogging the system:)
Old 05-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #4 
Welsh

Also, I forgot to say. Most people seem to soak their driftwood in a bucket of boiling water then doing regular water changes until the water is normal, this can take a long time depending on the size of the driftwood. I'm not really familiar with different types of sponges but if I were you, I would keep doing large water changes especially if your water is that colour =)
Old 05-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #5 
Firefly

Yes i did soak the driftwood in boiling water for like a week and a half with regular changes but it was taking too long:D haha but the colour isnt bad for the fish. Its actually benificial. The filter is brand new too as well as the tank so it shouldnt really be the filter, except maybe that one piece of sponge.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #6 
Welsh

You seem as impatient as I am =D Have you tried washing the sponge in a bucket of the tank water? really can't think what it could be thats messing with your tank other than the filter material or the gravel? the worst part is that your stuck with me and not an experienced member of this forum lol.

Last edited by Welsh; 05-03-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

What kind of water pram test are they doing for you...strips or liquid reagent?

When you take your water in to be tested ask for the numbers and write them down and post for: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH,
also, when you take your water in how long is it from the time you get the sample to being tested, the water can degrade and you can get skewed results if it is too long.

What kind of plants do you have and lighting wpg

To understand you are cycling with snails...right? what was the ammonia source before the snails?

On your filter, give it a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change 1-2 times a month or if the water flow slows down, you want it to look dirty, this is the good bacteria, tap water and over cleaning can cause a mini-cycle

The nitrite spike may have been a normal part of cycling
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #8 
Firefly

Thanks for the posts:D Well i had it in a container for like 10 minutes maybe. The lady at the fish shop was confused as to why there were nitrites in my tank cause im a local there and she knows my setup ( juwel rekord 600) with bioflow filter and a good lite that isnt overly bright. I wasnt cycling with anything before i added the snails. But as u said it could just be normal since ammonia build up only started a week ago. She tested with a liquid reagent
Old 05-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #9 
Firefly

Plants, hmmm i have java fern, some furry grass thingies, u can see in my avatar at the back and anotherplant thing similar to that and an aubius lol or watever its called
Old 05-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #10 
SaylorKennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
The nitrite spike may have been a normal part of cycling
This is what I think it is. :)
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote