Betta Fish Forum banner

2.4 Gallon with a Betta and 3 Corys

2K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  dipsydoodlenoodle 
#1 ·
Is it possible that I could put 3 corys in a 2.4 gallon- 11 litre tank with a betta? Or is this too small?

#3 ·
according to www.aqadvisor.com yes you are, and this is with a 2.5 gallon tank:

Note: Betta [Male] may jump - lids are recommended.
Warning: Corydoras C079 is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 2.2 inches.
Warning: At least 4 x Corydoras C079 are recommended in a group.

Recommended water change schedule: 65% per week. (You might want to split this water change schedule to two separate 40% per week)
Your aquarium stocking level is 167%.
Your tank is overstocked. Unless you are an experienced aquarist who can meet the maintenance/biological needs of this aquarium, lower stocking levels are recommended.

#6 ·
yup. way too small. 1 fish only is best for that tank.

not to mention 3 cory's isn't enough. They're schooling fish, and do best with a group of 6.
:roll: am i the only person in the world that has just 2 corys that are the happiest corys i've ever seen lol. just the 2 since 3 years and they grew 6 times their size and are confident and active like hell 8) so yes, its possible to have 2

#5 ·
I thought it was too small but thought I would ask just encase =)

I'm slightly confused by the numbers they should be in though, a lot of people say they should be kept in numbers of 3-6 while others say they must be in a school of 6.

#9 ·
I know, I have OCD with my fish tanks though especially as the little one doesnt have a filter so I'll be constantly cleaning it even in my dreams no doubt lol. I just wanted to know if it was too small for an apple snail lol.

#14 ·
It's still a general rule to keep at least 3 (or so) cories together. The more, the better, and that's been experimentally "proven." Good for you that you've had two together, but it's still recommended to keep groups together. It's not exactly invalid.

I don't get why people put Goldfish and Bettas together, honestly ... but whatever floats their boat as long as it works out okay.

I heard mystery snails poop a lot. But I'm not sure on their ideal "tank size." I know you can put shrimp in almost ANYTHING...it's just the size sometimes aggravates a betta into killing their friendly shrimp. Nerite snails don't poop as much as mystery snails, so I hear.

#15 ·
^^^^ i never recommended it, i said its possible lol.
im lucky that i happened to get 2 that dont mind in the least.

lol i dunno how goldfish and betta works either.
its actually a mystery to me lol.

^^^ to the snails; apart from the pooping problem, do they not reproduce like mad on their own caus they switch genders or something weird like that??

#18 ·
Mystery snails are NOT hermafidites. However, after they mate the female can wait a few months to lay the eggs.

However, some snails are. It is recommended that you have at least 2.5 gallons for a mystery snail. So, for a betta and a snail, 5g works best.

My snail poops a LOT. However, I don't really mind and it's good for my plants. :)

#19 ·
The ONLY thing you could put in a tank that small would be 1 or 2 ghost shrimp but I don't really recommend it. Ghost shrimp like to be in groups and in a tank that small with no where for them to hide the betta would probably pester them to death.

Your best bet is just to leave the fish by himself. He is happier that way anyways.

#20 ·
I have a planted two gallon tank with three ghost shrimp, the betta leaves them alone since he can't seem to spot them and when he does they vanish so fast he isn't bothered to try to give chase. I used to have three oto cats there is only two now, the third was a loner and got singled out by the betta. Be warned unless something is faster than your betta he will pick on it, I even caught him pecking at a snail.
So if you want to have tank mates a filter and places for them to hide is a must

#21 ·
Personally I would never put shrimp into my tank with my betta as I have heard so many horror stories plus they are quite expensive over here, so sushi is definately not on the menu for my betta.lol. I am just going to leave him on his own he seems happy enough, I just thought a snail could help with the cleaning a bit but they do poop a lot so it wouldn't be worth it.

Thanks for your help =)

#22 ·
It never really made too much sense about getting another fish to do cleaning. You add onto bioload because they poop either as much as a betta, or even more than a betta. So technically, there's no cleaning going on, unless you mean algae. And even with that, there's hardly anything that cleans algae extremely efficiently. I've only heard of nerite snails, and mixed reviews with otos. Just sayin~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.