Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #11 
Kittles

What. I thought you could plop a snail in anything.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #12 
DanMarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelie View Post
yup. way too small. 1 fish only is best for that tank.

am i the only person in the world that has just 2 corys that are the happiest corys i've ever seen lol. just the 2 since 3 years and they grew 6 times their size and are confident and active like hell 8) so yes, its possible to have 2

No, you aren't the only person. I have 3 albino cories and two dwarf frogs with my betta in a 10 gallon aquarium, and everyone is very happy. The cories are extremely active and are growing like mad. I personally think that the "5 or 6 cories at a time" rule is invalid. I've seen lots of smaller groups cories that absolutley thrived. I believe it all depends on the environment, not the size of the school.
DanMarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #13 
TeenyTinyTofu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelie View Post
yup. way too small. 1 fish only is best for that tank.

am i the only person in the world that has just 2 corys that are the happiest corys i've ever seen lol. just the 2 since 3 years and they grew 6 times their size and are confident and active like hell 8) so yes, its possible to have 2
Just because you have two that have done great, doesn't mean that's what's best for the species overall. It's a well known fact that they are schooling fish, that live in schools of their own kind. So while it's wonderful that your two have done well, it's not wise to advise others that having only two is okay. In most cases, the fish will not be happy, because as I said, they are schooling fish that do well with 5-6 of their own kind.

Just like I know a couple people that have large koi goldfish living with a betta. It works for them, but that doesn't mean it's ideal.
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #14 
xxabc

It's still a general rule to keep at least 3 (or so) cories together. The more, the better, and that's been experimentally "proven." Good for you that you've had two together, but it's still recommended to keep groups together. It's not exactly invalid.

I don't get why people put Goldfish and Bettas together, honestly ... but whatever floats their boat as long as it works out okay.

I heard mystery snails poop a lot. But I'm not sure on their ideal "tank size." I know you can put shrimp in almost ANYTHING...it's just the size sometimes aggravates a betta into killing their friendly shrimp. Nerite snails don't poop as much as mystery snails, so I hear.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:37 AM   #15 
Neelie

^^^^ i never recommended it, i said its possible lol.
im lucky that i happened to get 2 that dont mind in the least.

lol i dunno how goldfish and betta works either.
its actually a mystery to me lol.

^^^ to the snails; apart from the pooping problem, do they not reproduce like mad on their own caus they switch genders or something weird like that??
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:16 AM   #16 
Welsh

I read somewhere that Mystery Snails need a male and a female to reproduce but dont take my word for it lol
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #17 
xxabc

Mysteries need male AND female, I'm 85% sure.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:09 PM   #18 
doggyhog

Mystery snails are NOT hermafidites. However, after they mate the female can wait a few months to lay the eggs.

However, some snails are. It is recommended that you have at least 2.5 gallons for a mystery snail. So, for a betta and a snail, 5g works best.

My snail poops a LOT. However, I don't really mind and it's good for my plants. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #19 
1fish2fish

The ONLY thing you could put in a tank that small would be 1 or 2 ghost shrimp but I don't really recommend it. Ghost shrimp like to be in groups and in a tank that small with no where for them to hide the betta would probably pester them to death.

Your best bet is just to leave the fish by himself. He is happier that way anyways.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:12 AM   #20 
LoneHowler

I have a planted two gallon tank with three ghost shrimp, the betta leaves them alone since he can't seem to spot them and when he does they vanish so fast he isn't bothered to try to give chase. I used to have three oto cats there is only two now, the third was a loner and got singled out by the betta. Be warned unless something is faster than your betta he will pick on it, I even caught him pecking at a snail.
So if you want to have tank mates a filter and places for them to hide is a must
LoneHowler is offline   Reply With Quote