Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #1 
Jennyinurmouth

Hmm powerful filter?

I have a somewhat powerful filter in the last empty spot in my tank.
I was wondering if it is too stressful to stick a betta in that extra spot with the flow being a little strong.
or him getting stuck to the sucking thingy O.o
I am paranoid before getting my little guy.
Jennyinurmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #2 
Sella

My crowntail often got stuck to the least powerful filter I could find, so I put the filter in my veiltails tank and although he doesn't get stuck to it, he flares at it constantly and can't focus on his happy little life. I ended up removing it all together. It really depends on how strong the flow/suction is, how strong of a swimmer your fish is, and his attitude towards the whole thing. Try him in there, but keep an eye on him in case he gets into trouble.
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #3 
Mister Sparkle

My only suggestion would be to try that "extra spot" on one of the bettas you already have. This way, you have his old home to put him back into if it isn't going to work. Getting a new fish could commit you to a whole new aquarium...not that this would be a BAD thing!
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #4 
creamcookie

You could put a filter baffle to slow the current down. It does stress a betta if the current is too strong.
creamcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:20 AM   #5 
LoneHowler

I have a mini filter but this may help. I put a plant right by the filter, so he wouldn't go near it. the added bonus was the outflow was diffused by the leaves so there current is minimized. After I planted it my betta stopped sulking in one corner and started to explore more of the tank
LoneHowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:29 AM   #6 
Firefly

i would do what Mister Sparkle says and try with a Betta u already have. Im using a juwel rekord 280 bioflow filter. the suction its not too strong and when my betta got too close he was just staring at the filter while it slowly started sucking him in, until he realized wat was happening and quickly swam away. also i turned the nozel of the outflow all the way up so it blows to the surface and reduces the overall current of the water. He stays well away from it, but sometimes get flushed away when he comes up for air in the wrong spot. But having too much flow will definately stress ur betta out and also tire him out cause he will constantly need to swim against the current to stay where he wants to be. Sorry for the long post:D haha
Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:35 AM   #7 
Jennyinurmouth

I put spoof in there, he is kind of retarded and tries to swim against the current,
haha
it is hilarious.
^_^
he doesn't get stuck either, he was biting the sucky thing
Jennyinurmouth is offline   Reply With Quote