Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #1 
spotaflint33

How to move Squishy?

A great time in my life has come up and my fiancee and I are moving in together out of our respective parent's houses. She has been most gracious and is willing to let my favorite fish, Squishy come move with us into our new apartment. That aside I'm not sure how to move him and his wonderful 2.5 gallon tank. Any tips on how to move him from my current residence. He's going from Livonia to Rochester so it will be at least an hour drive especially since we have to stop and pick up other stuff. Any moving hints?

Also as a side note we're getting a huge glass bowl to put on our kitchen table and getting a second betta to put in it. The bowl is around 2 gallons so he will be fine I just thought it would be fun to get a second fish. He will be her daughter's pet. She's 2 and really likes fish (to the point where she got really happy with a video of Squishy).
spotaflint33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #2 
Sella

I'd just pick the tank up and stick it in your car and drive! If your tank doesn't have a lid get a covered critter keeper from the petsmart and put him in that. An hour drive isn't that long. I buy my bettas from a store over an hour a way and they sit in my coffee holder in their death cups for the trip.
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #3 
Sella

oh and congrats on movin' in with your girl! Exciting times for you!
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

If you move him in his tank you might want to lower the water level so it doesn't slosh around so much. If the tank isn't cycled I'd just put him in the cup he came in if you have it or in a gladware type container that has never been used before. Then I'd empty the tank and put everything back together when you get to your new place.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #5 
ThePearlFish

I agree with just moving him in your tank. when I moved all my animals and fish I put my fish in jars and put them in the cup holders in the car/ floor of the seat and stuffed things around all of them to prevent the cars motion from sloshing the water too much or moving the other animals too much. I had 2 gpigs, a lizard a turtle and 7 fish, a 70lb dog and an ADF with me in the car, haha (plus all the tank stuff including some jugs of water and turtle bin and more = a really cramped car! LOL :P). the fish and turtle were a bit stressed but everyone calmed down soon after they were set up back in their tanks (which was the day after I moved in) the only casualty was the ADF, but I am not too surprised at that one since he wasn't completely well before the trip.

good luck with the move :) I am sure your fish will be fine :)
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #6 
spotaflint33

Thanks I have some ideas of what to do. I'm wondering if I can get a giant fast food cup to just go in my truck and sit there while I drive. I wouldn't get any drink in it just the cup see if the the company would give it to me for cheaper. Any other tips would be appreciated. Does anyone know how common all red fish are (or mostly red males)? She wants to get a bright red one if possible. Also I'm glad she was willing to get a second fish. She wanted to put Squishy in the table bowl and he is spoiled like mad having that monster tank to himself. He gets everything he wants.

Last edited by spotaflint33; 05-02-2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Forgot Info
Old 05-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #7 
kikuhoshi

I move my fish a half hour every 4 days (home/school, and I'm very possessive of My Boy & don't want him to get excited over someone else, haha) in his little bowl from Petsmart. I'd maybe get an old Tupperware container that hasn't been used in forever, rinse it out, and then put him in there to keep him safe.

Also, I'm pretty sure you're from my state; if so, hi from the Flint/Lansing area! :)
kikuhoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #8 
spotaflint33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikuhoshi View Post
I move my fish a half hour every 4 days (home/school, and I'm very possessive of My Boy & don't want him to get excited over someone else, haha) in his little bowl from Petsmart. I'd maybe get an old Tupperware container that hasn't been used in forever, rinse it out, and then put him in there to keep him safe.

Also, I'm pretty sure you're from my state; if so, hi from the Flint/Lansing area! :)
We are both from the great mitten. Greetings from SE Michigan. I do have some OLD tupperware that hasn't seen the light of day in about 2 years the issue is that the last thing that was in it was acetone free nail polish remover. I'm also a table top gamer and as such occasionally have to strip paint (still have to do my beserkers) and use nail polish remover to do so. I wonder how long before it would have to be before it was safe.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #9 
kikuhoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotaflint33 View Post
We are both from the great mitten. Greetings from SE Michigan. I do have some OLD tupperware that hasn't seen the light of day in about 2 years the issue is that the last thing that was in it was acetone free nail polish remover. I'm also a table top gamer and as such occasionally have to strip paint (still have to do my beserkers) and use nail polish remover to do so. I wonder how long before it would have to be before it was safe.
*Michigander high-five!*

I probably wouldn't use that, just to be safe. I just know my mom had a Tupperware container that we hadn't used in forever, along with some older plastic butter containers, that I can use to contain him when his Petsmart bowl cracks more. The soap had apparently been inactive long enough that it wasn't a huge deal, but I wouldn't know about nail polish remover. Sorry I can't be more help! :(
kikuhoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:26 AM   #10 
spotaflint33

I'd like to just say that Squishy made it through the move fairly well. Although there were some situations out of my control (he spent a lot longer then I'd like in his moving carton ie tupperware with a ton of holes drilled in it and a day in our bathroom). My fiancee and I also welcomed our new crown tail named Jose into our little family. While Squishy gets to be on our dresser Jose lives on the kitchen table in a very very large bowl (its around 2.5 gallons). I'm just happy that my fish and our new one made it through moving day and my fiancee's daughter is thrilled to have a pet "fishy" that she can see and look at (she's 2). Thank you all for the help.