Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #1 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Question Question about live plants

I really want to add real plants to my 5G, but I'm not using the filter. I would love to cycle it, but my sister would freak out with the noise the filter makes (we share a room). She's going away to college in August so I'll probably cycle the tank than. The tanks sooo heavy to carry to the bathroom even though I take out half the water before. Are there any live plants I can use that don't need to be in a tank with a filter or cycled tank?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #2 
Mister Sparkle

Even if you aren't technically "cycling" the aquarium, there's no need for you to be doing 100% changes on a 5G. I'd do 50% changes every three days. And then a 75% change every third scheduled change. It's only a matter of time before you drop that thing, and NONE OF US would like to see that happen to you!
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #3 
SaylorKennedy

Lol, I'd just turn the filter on one day and see if she notices it's running! If not, just leave it on. :)

But I'd say your easy plants would be okay. I have java fern and anubias nana in my 2.5 that's uncycled, and they're doing fine. Although I am about to start the cycling process. Java moss would be good too.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I'm not worried about dropping it.lol I don't mind doing water changes on it, but i would rather just have it cycled. I would try that, but she would literally flush Zeus and throw out my tank. She's come to like my fish, but she's a light sleeper so any noise would wake her up. She's a pain, but I have to accept that it's her room too. *rolls eyes* I knew I should've gone off to a college that had dorms instead of commuting.lol
Old 05-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #5 
Sella

I have moneywort, bacomba (sp?) and val in my uncycled five gallon. They help with the water parameters and I do a 70%-90% change once a week. I have a good light from Home Depot to help them grow and they're doing great.
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #6 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Oh right, I need a good light for the plants to grow right? I have to cover up the light because my sister was complaining that it was too bright. Than I guess I'll have to wait until she goes off to college...I'll be counting down the days!haha :P Ugh, this is so annoying! I totally forgot about lighting.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #7 
javi

If your sister does not like the noise of moving water from a HOB or airpump, I would consider an internal power filter. They will filter, move and oxygenate the water with very little noise. I love java fern and diferent mosses.
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #8 
Welsh

I have an internal filter on my 12 gall and I'm a VERY light sleeper but this doesn't disturb me in the slightest, its really peaceful =) as for plants, Java Fern, Java Moss, Christmas moss, anubias, crypts. These are hardy plants and don't require a lot of light to grow =)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #9 
1fish2fish

If you want a filter I would go with an internal whisper filter.. quiet as a mouse!.

Technically if you were to put a LOT of plants in the tank and get a good light you wouldn't even need to cycle. The plants would automatically absorb the wastes.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #10 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Oh really? Hmmm that's definitely something to think about. Does it have to be a special light? The one that I have on there now is a "white" light. The rest of my tanks have the "yellow" light.