Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #1 
waffles

stringy/cottony stuff?

Hey, I noticed a few weeks ago my little guy started getting cottony/stringy like stuff hanging off his bottom fin. Sometimes I'll see if fall off while he's swimming but it always comes back. I tried just doing more water changes, he lives in a cycled 1 gal tank, I usually do 100% water change twice a week and upped it to 3 times... I didn't see any improvement and treated him with maroxy, and that also didn't help. Yesterday I took out the filter and started him on fungus eliminator, so I'm hoping that works. Any suggestions?

waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #2 
creamcookie

Here, go to http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm. Its got lots of good info on diseases and cures. Hope this hepls.
creamcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #3 
waffles

I have visited that site many times, it's very helpful except for now. I looked at the disease diagnosis guide that came with maracyn, and I'm kind of caught between it either being columnaris or it being a true fungus...I'm really not sure. I didn't want to give him antibiotics if he didn't need them, so that's why I tried maroxy... since that didn't work I'm trying fungus eliminator. I'm thinking if that doesn't work, it might be columnaris and I should try a gram-positive antibiotic. I'm really not sure and I don't want to hurt him trying to help him that's why I figured I'd see if anyone here knew what it was. I actually have the betta first aid kit off of bettatalk.com, I'm thinking something in there's gotta do the trick.. I just want to make sure I use the right one. Any help would be appreciated
waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #4 
kikuhoshi

It looks like columnare to me... My fish hasn't had it yet *knocks on wood*, but my former roomie's fish did. I'd at least go get the antibiotics the next chance you get, because it's always a good idea to have medicine around, just in case.
kikuhoshi is offline   Reply With Quote