Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #1 
LotusRuin

Just put the boys in their new home!! :D

Yaaaaaaayyyyyy!!!!! XD!

I just put my boys in their new home. All the water issues were sorted out, and I took it to get tested and it's PERFECT! Yaaayyyy!!!

But (and there's always a but...)

Harmonus likes the filter, and the filter is a bit...strong. He hung out at the top right underneath of it, and I watched while his poor fins caught the current and floated upwards. His body remained frantically swimming behind it, but still, he let his long flowy tail get caught in the current.

I was wondering how to break the strong current. I thought about cutting a plastic bottle up and somehow taping it to the filter. After I added a little more water to the tank, which didn't lessen the flow, I unplugged the filter because I don't want my little guy to suffer. XP Any suggestions?
LotusRuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #2 
Mister Sparkle

some people in here have come up with some pretty ingenious "baffles" for that problem. Personally, I like sponge filters, but I don't think you're trying to buy new equipment...just trying to make what you have work for you.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #3 
LotusRuin

Yeah, can't spend any more. Bleh. But, my parents just bought us some Dairy Queen, and DQ generously gave us plastic lids that look perfect for what we need! They're scalloped too, which will probably break the water down more. All we needed was something to eliminate such a strong current. I'll use some medical tape to secure it to the filter, and the lid piece to cut down the flow. Yay!
LotusRuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #4 
Kittles

Have you dug up the threads on creating your own baffle? It sounds like it, but if not just put "filter baffle" into the search feature at the top, obviously. There are several good tutorials lurking this board that you could use if you haven't resourced them already.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:02 PM   #5 
gogolg87

I use simple plastic cups from walmart and tape them under the overflow so they redirect the current against the glass and away from the fish..it works great and the one does create a slight ripple on the surface it doesn't have a strong current at all and doesn't disturb bubble nests or create unnecessary bubbles either i just posted pictures of my newest tank and you can see the cup in there..its in the picture thread of homemade cave and more pics to come.
gogolg87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
break water flow, filter, macguyvering