Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #1 
Twjones87

My B-day gift

I got my first Betta yesterday for my birthday. He is still in the vase, but looking for a bigger tank. Will try and get better pics of my boy later. I am still undecided on what his name is going to be...but will have one soon. Just came across this forum and thought I'd see what everyone has to say...thanks

Twjones87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

He's very pretty! Just watch out for the plastic plant, I had that plant and it ripped up my bettas fins. :/
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #3 
creamcookie

very pretty veiltail! Is he your first betta?
creamcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #4 
Twjones87

Yeah he is my first Betta, since I joined this site I have named him Archimedes. i love his colors, I have better pics i will post soon. I received a thing of freeze dried blood worms with him, is there anything else I need to feed him or will those be fine?

BettaxFishxCrazy - what kind of plant should I get in place of the one I have? Cause I dont want it to mess his fins up.

Thanks, and if there is anyhtign else I shuld know, just let me know haha
Old 05-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #5 
SaylorKennedy

He's going to need a staple diet of pellets, about 2-4 pellets a day. Hikari Bio-Gold or Wardley are good. Bloodworms are a treat for once a week. You should also fast him one day of the week.

For plants, silk plants are the best. The leaves are usually made of a fabic, so they won't tear a betta's fins. If you end up getting a tank with a light, you could also try out live plants, but it's up to you to take that challenge.

And if you get a 5 gallon or higher, it's recommended that you cycle the tank. It makes water changes everyweek easier and is healthier for the betta.

How often are you changing his water in the vase now?
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #6 
Twjones87

i just got him yesterday, and havent done anything. Last night he was swimming around alot and seems to be happy, specially when the lights are off. I am planning to get a 10 gal tank in the next few days.

I have had other fish before, but never a Betta, so just tryign to find out the secrets to keeping him healthy...thanks
Old 05-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #7 
creamcookie

I also have a ten gal for my male betta. You would need a filter, heater, thermometer, plants/decorations and a substrate. I use a natural coloured gravel.
creamcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #8 
Betta Slave

As Creamcookie has said:
For a ten Gallon, you'll need a heater, WEAK filter, as bettas can't swim in strong currents, thermometer, silk plants (or really really soft, round-edge plastic ones like I have) and a hiding spot or two, as well as gravel.
Good luck with him! ;)

Also, if you put in a few drops of bettafix (depending on your tank size) in his aquarium every second day, I find that bettas (my boys, at least) are more active. They also love almond leaves, which are harder to find.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #9 
Kittles

I've only heard negative things about Bettafix, or any Betta___ product, really. I don't remember why, just that they contained something potentially hazardous. Maybe it's just me, but it also seems unnecessary. I mean, isn't Bettafix a medication?

Anyhow, you'll also need a water conditioner to dechlorinate whatever water you're using. I don't think it was mentioned previously, or if you already knew that, but just in case! Clean water and heat are top priority for betta care.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:25 PM   #10 
Sella

congrats on the new finned friend. Bettas are AWESOME pets. I think they're the dogs of the aquarium. They're always wanting attention.
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote