Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2010, 02:42 AM   #11 
Twjones87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaxFishxCrazy View Post
He's very pretty! Just watch out for the plastic plant, I had that plant and it ripped up my bettas fins. :/
I have noticed Archimedes already has some fin damage due to the plastic plant...arghhh...will it hurt if I just pulled the plant out and didnt have in the vase. Ihave a 10 gal tank I am goign to set up as soon as I get gravel. So he wont be in the vase much longer.

What is involved with having live plants? I bought the 10 gal starter kit at Wal-Mart, will the filter in it be too strong?
Twjones87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #12 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah, I'd pull the plant right out. I'm not sure about live plants, someone else will have to help you out with that. If you see your betta is getting "blown" away by the filter, than it's too strong. They like nice, calm waters.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #13 
Twjones87

Cheap plastic plant is out, and he seems to be happier lol..more room to swim in the little vase. I also got him some pellets, and he loves them. Also how should I change his water? It isnt cloudy or anythign but ive had him since saturday and havent doen anything. And i realized its gonna be longer than i planned before he gets his new place, since i got to let it cycle. I know with all my other fish in the past it usually takes about a week, but been reading it can take quite a bit longer for Bettas. Gotta wait to go outa town to a bigger store, none local have anything for bettas...(small towns suck) lol
Old 05-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #14 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Oh yeah, same here.lol Pet stores are 30-40 minutes away from me. Do you know how many gallons the vase is? It's probably 1/2G or 1G. A 1/2G should be cleaned 100% every day and a 1G every other day. Ammonia builds up very quickly in smaller tanks.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #15 
Twjones87

it is a 1g vase. I know this is a newb question lol but how do i change it? i take him out and put him in something?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #16 
Zenandra
Banned

First of all congratulations on your new betta! I think you will enjoy him a lot. Bettas are very personable and entertaining when they are properly taken care of!

For feeding it is not recommended to feed and freezedried foods as the main source of food. Freezedried foods can very easily cause constipation and swim bladder issues, and should only be used as an occasional snack. Its best to feed a betta specific pellet daily, the best pellet out there is the Hikari Betta Bio-Gold. I feed all of my guys about 6 pellets a day, 3 in the morning and 3 at night. every 3 days then get a snack of thawed bloodworms, and they are fasted once a week.

You boy will be thrilled with a 10 gallon tank! Wait till you see his personality blossom! I would suspect that the filter that comes with the 10g kit is probably too strong, but try it and see.

As for changing the water simply net your fish into a small container (tupperware or something) filled with water from his vase. Clean the vase well, rinse the gravel and add fresh water, don't forget to add water conditioner!

Good luck and if you have anymore questions dont hesitate to ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittles View Post
I've only heard negative things about Bettafix, or any Betta___ product, really. I don't remember why, just that they contained something potentially hazardous. Maybe it's just me, but it also seems unnecessary. I mean, isn't Bettafix a medication?

Bettafix is simply a weakened form of melafix to make it more "Betta safe" It can be fine in very moderate doses, but too much can kill a betta. I never use it, it makes me nervous.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 05-04-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #17 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Zenandra answered it for ya. :) Bettafix and Melafix is one of the controversial medications. I've heard good and bad things about it, but mostly bad things. You should only use medications when your fish is sick. I never use medications unless I really have to because they can have bad reactions to it.