Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #1 
Welsh

What is needed?

I really really really want shrimp, I dont know what my fascination is I just know I want them and since I have fighters I dont want to put the shrimp in their tanks knowing they may eat them, soooo I was wondering what do I need for a successful shrimp tank?

Cheers :p
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Start a species only tank for them and get a good shrimp colony going and then add some to the Betta tank....
It can be tricky keeping Betta and shrimp together especially in the small tanks even with lots of hiding places and moss/plants, and every Betta is different as some will not bother them and other will and they tend to change their mind too....the once Betta that never looked twice at the shrimp...attacks......

I really enjoy my red cherry shrimp and the yellow morph...so neat to watch and fairly hardy and fast to reproduce when water quality is kept high, they do tend to be sensitive to high nitrates so best to keep them in the 5-10ppm range and water temp in the 78F area. I use sponge filters in my shrimp tanks as the tiny shrimpletts tend to get sucked up in the HBO and canister type filter. Java moss is a great low light plant that shrimp love to hide and feed in too...more the better.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #3 
Welsh

Thats exactly what I was hoping to do and gradually add a few to the tanks to see if they get along. So a filter is needed, what about a heater, light?
Old 05-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Yes, they do best with a sponge filter and they need some heat and light to do best and thrive and reproduce faster.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #5 
Welsh

I use sponge filters with both my tanks and swear by them =) what size tank would be best? I wont be putting a lot into the tank all at once because they are fairly pricey but gradually over the months I will add more. I just really want some shrimp lol
Old 05-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

You can start with either a 5g or 10g, like always big the better......even a 1-2g will work as long as the frequent water changes are made....but you know that already....lol...

Make sure what ever tank you use has never had any copper products used in them, copper is a big killer of shrimp and it tend to be absorbed in everything in the tank no matter how much you clean, small amount of residue are usually not a problem in larger tanks though.....

Once you get a couple of berried females and a male you may not have to buy anymore...once these guy are happy...they reproduce pretty fast......and so much fun to watch.....I hope you gets some.......I like to watch mine ride the snails around cleaning their shells...pretty funny....lol.....
Old 05-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #7 
Welsh

I was hoping to get the same size as my betta a 2.4, are there any plants they specifically like, I use an White LED Marina light for my betta and was just wondering whether this light would be alright for the shrimp and also the plants.

Sorry for all the questions, Im always nagging on here lol
Old 05-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Shrimp really like moss and it is a low light plants, what are the watts and kelvin reading on the lights?
Old 05-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #9 
Welsh

I'm not actually sure, its meant for goldfish and it is fairly bright but I shade it with a floating plant so its not too vivid for my betta.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #10 
Welsh

Will the shrimp die if they dont have sufficient heat? Its summer and my room hits 62 degrees I also have a hydor heater which should keep the water temp at 65?