Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #1 
Seki

Meet Ruby and Lila

I had been holding off on a thread until I was sure Lila was going to be okay. But now that she's perked up, I figure I'd introduce her to the forum! She is a ragged little VT female I picked up for fifty cents when I got my new DSHM boy from Petco. The manager of the store told me she'd been there for so long, he just wanted someone to take her home, so he said I could have her for fifty cents. She had been floating in my sorority tank for a couple of days now, but apparently she decided today (while I was at work) that she wanted to join the rest of the girls. I was afraid she was dead when I came home to find her cup empty, but it turns out she was not only fine, she had colored up and was holding her own in the tank! Meet... Lila~

She came to me looking like this... but in a filthy cup with brown water. Ammonia was ~4PPM.

But by the end of the first night, she was starting to look a little better.

And then a little better the next day...

And today I come home to find...

YAY!!

Ruby is a little crowntail girl who caught my eye at Petsmart when I was picking up some bags to ship Patriot. Someone had dumped a TON of food into her cup, so I took her back to the fish sink and dumped the food back out. She ate a lot, though, and she's quite bloated at the moment. But that's fixable! I fell in love with her bloodred fins (I don't have much red in my sorority at the moment) and her form looked so nice and clean I couldn't resist bringing her up to the register with me. Meet... Ruby~

She is quite big right now... though the stress of the car ride did cause her to poop a couple times, which is probably a good thing lol

Lookit that wide dorsal and that gorgeous caudal!

Having a little flare at her soon-to-be sister lol
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #2 
kjg1029

aww there both so pretty..i hate how pet stores think its okay to shove such beautiful, smart creatures into a tiny toxic cupxc so wrong, but atleast u saved them!!
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #3 
OSD

Wow, such pretty girls!
OSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #4 
Seki

Aww thanks guys! Ruby is floating now, I'll get a couple more pics of her in a bit. Lila is still doing okay, just hiding a lot while she gets better acquainted with her sisters lol. She is definitely the smallest by a long shot right now!
Old 07-06-2014, 12:00 AM   #5 
Seki

Ruby is so feisty, I love it!

Dat beard, tho... she's the manliest female I've ever seen haha. Good thing I can see her ovaries!

Her sisters are eagerly awaiting her release into the tank lol
Old 07-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #6 
Seki

So... some minor bad news. Lila is adjusting great to sorority life, but it looks like Ruby isn't going to be a good fit. She is far too aggressive and it agitated the entire sorority even to have her floating in there. It looks like Ruby will have to be housed in her own tank. Oddly, she is acting like a male...
Old 07-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #7 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

She has such a sweet face though! Were they both labeled male when you got them?
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:33 PM   #8 
InStitches

Wow, what a great improvement for Lila! She looks great.

Ruby is gorgeous. Maybe just a manly aggressive girl?
InStitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:13 AM   #9 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridinguckgirl14 View Post
She has such a sweet face though! Were they both labeled male when you got them?
No, both were labeled female. Ruby is in a different cup, I changed her water when I got her home haha. She wasn't labeled a dragonscale male, I promise. lol And she was from Petsmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InStitches View Post
Wow, what a great improvement for Lila! She looks great.

Ruby is gorgeous. Maybe just a manly aggressive girl?
I have to assume so. I've never had a girl as aggressive as her, and I've had quite a number of females. Nearly all of them were just fine in my sorority, but Ruby isn't gonna work out. And that's fine, I'm just going to have to work out space issues for her tank, that's all.

A little video to show you all what I mean. She literally did this the ENTIRE time she was floating in the tank.
http://s17.photobucket.com/user/Asek...3bd21.mp4.html
Old 07-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #10 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Aww the others are like "hi who are you come hug me we're sisters now" and ruby is practically hissing at them <=o
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote