Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2014, 10:57 PM   #21 
Sabina88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
Ohhh he's so pretty! His eyes might clear up. Daredevil was almost entirely blind when I brought him home, but warm, clean water cleared his eyes up so well he almost has full sight back! A lot of time disease can cause the cloudiness.
I remember reading about Daredevil, How is he doing? also do you have any tips for caring for a betta who has sight isues, especialy pertaining to food? I know a big thing is to not move stuff around so he can learn how to navigate properly.

I hope his eyes clear up too. I have hopes for the his eye that's only clouded.

Last edited by Sabina88; 07-05-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Sabina88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:03 PM   #22 
Sabina88

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSD View Post
He's really pretty! Is the gold on his fins his coloring or the start of velvet? I'm super new at this, but haven't seen anything like that.
Luckily no, that photo was taken with the flash on so it picked up on the iridescence on his fins. In this case it looked gold, but sometimes iridescence can look blue or green depending on the fish. I could be wrong on this but I don't think velvet or rather the fine dust that you see with the disease forms on fins.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:10 PM   #23 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabina88 View Post
I hope his eyes clear up too, I do have hope for that especialy on his eye that's only slightly cloudy. How is Daredevil doing? also do you have any tips for caring for a betta who has sight isues, especialy pertaining to food? I know a big thing is to not move stuff around so he can learn how to navigate properly.
Yes, I can help with this one! Although Daredevil's sight cleared up with clean water, I was still conditioning him in case he remained blind. First, I use NLS with Daredevil because it has a stronger smell to it than Omega One and is still highly nutritious. He could find it easier because he could smell where it was in the water and go right to it. I kept his decor to a minimum and mostly just plants. I noticed he would get kind of stuck in corners of his tank, so I recommend a 2+ gallon bowl if you can get your hands on it. If not, he'll still be fine in a rectangular tank, so no worries. Last, I conditioned him to know it was feeding time by tapping three times on the tank before I dropped the food. It took a couple weeks, but he now responds to the taps even though he can see the food! I tap three times and he swims right up to the feeding spot (which I kept the same every time, that's important) and dances around waiting for his food haha.

Good luck with him!!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:16 PM   #24 
Sabina88

Thanks so much for the tips. I currently only have Omega One pellets but I did actually see some New Life Spectrum at this petco which I haven't seen at the others. So ill have to grab some soon. Ill have to give that and tapping a try when I start feeding him.

Ive decided to fast him because I think there is a possibility that he has internal parasites. I thought I saw him poop and it looked white/clear and squigally but his pectorals blocked my sight so I couldn't really tell.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #25 
Sabina88

I need some help with a name for him. Ive decided that because I named my first EE(PK) Sparrow, I would follow suit and name my new EE a bird species as well. Though im having a hard time coming up with one. I was thinking maybe Swallow but does any one else have some other ideas? I also kind of like Wren and Jay.

This is Sparrow, I lost him to a hard hitting case of ich I think a little over 8 months ago I think.
Name:  Sparrow.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  23.5 KB

Last edited by Sabina88; 07-06-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #26 
kjg1029

wow he looks like a whole new fish! So beautiful, I wish my betta had finnage like that xc!
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #27 
Sabina88

All the pictures I took of my new guy are from the same day, the photo I just posted is of my male EEPK that passed away awhile ago. Unless I misunderstood you :)

Quick up date:

He seems to be more active though he still is resting a lot. But I have a feeling that its more to do with the fact that he cant see and he has to be carefull moving around. I was a bit worried yesterday because I thought I saw him flash a few times but I haven't seen any behavior like that since as far as I know of.
I also decided to feed him today since his tummy looked a bit skinny. Which most likely means that his partial SBD is coming from an internal parasite. So my plan for today is to do a 100% water change on his tank and while he's waiting his cup ill do a medicated bath. But I have to see what I have first since I think I only have a few medications.
As for the food, ive started teaching him that tapping three times means food. I decided to feed him 1 omega one shrimp pellet because I figured it would be a bit smellier then my omega one betta buffet pellets. He did actually find them and managed to eat it. The only issue with him and eating at the moment is that it takes him a few tries to actually get the food in his mouth. And after he eat he went back to that spot a few times to see if there was any more food so ill take that as a good sign.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #28 
Sabina88

Quick update

He seems to be doing well for the most part. Its clear he does have a bit of site, yesterday I watched him spot a piece of food on the tank floor and he notices pieces of food the are moving along the waters surface as long as its right in front of him.
Oh and he even made a little blubble nest today, so im taking that as a good sign. And I think I might have picked a name for him, either Congo or Kongo. Im not sure which spelling I like better.