Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #1 
Tinman23

Unhappy New addition crisis

I just got a very small fancy goldfish to put in with one of my bettas in my 10g tank. I floated the bag to get the new guy climatized and get my betta used to him. It has been just over an hour now and my betta is flaring and chasing the pour guy around in the bag. I have run out of options and dont want to put one of them in a bowl. Apart from running out and buying another tank, what can I do?! (ps the fish is nopt in with the betta , he is safe floating in the bag. The betta does not seem to be stressing...just angry.)
Tinman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #2 
vaygirl

Goldfish require huge set ups so a bowl wouldn't work anyway. I'd just take the goldfish back while you still can.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #3 
Narnian

Also, goldfish are coldwater fish and bettas are tropical, so they definitely don't mix.
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #4 
Tinman23

Things have settled, I think the betta was more or less showing off, they're doing fine now.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:01 PM   #5 
Mister Sparkle

They might play nice, but there's no level of compromise that will accommodate the fact that one of those fish needs temps in the mid-60's while the other one prefers the high-70's.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:08 PM   #6 
vaygirl

Yeah, I forgot about the temp difference. That's a combo that just will not work. Take the goldfish back. Goldfish should have 20 gallons at least, just for themselves. Plus, they need a LOT of filtration. Two filters is usually best because they poop SO much. Bettas prefer calmer waters. Their requirments couldn't be more different.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #7 
Tinman23

yeah I brought him back and had a very long conversation with the person who sold him to me. She said that she had a betta in with one too and I figured it was ok despite the temp diff. Needless to say she wont be selling anymore goldfish to people who CLEARLY claim they wish to have them share a tank with a betta. So i picked up two ottos, things are all good!
Old 04-21-2010, 02:28 AM   #8 
Hadouken441

Haha this is funny. Since when did all these rules happen? My girlfriend has very expensive goldish and in the tank it also has 2 bettas. None of them ever fight and there has never been a problem with "strong current" or anything like that. Goldfish are gorillas and can handle any kind of water. Her tank temp is at 77 and thats fine for both. The bettas actually swim with the goldfish and eat with them and nothing bad ever happens. The tank has been set up for a long time too. Theres always a way to make any fish work with each other if you do things right. And for filtration, well her tank is as heavily planted as mine are. So if you can make it work make it work. Only problem I see is that your tank is small for the goldfish not the betta. A normal fancy goldfish can get up to 10 inches.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:08 AM   #9 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadouken441 View Post
Haha this is funny. Since when did all these rules happen? My girlfriend has very expensive goldish and in the tank it also has 2 bettas. None of them ever fight and there has never been a problem with "strong current" or anything like that. Goldfish are gorillas and can handle any kind of water. Her tank temp is at 77 and thats fine for both. The bettas actually swim with the goldfish and eat with them and nothing bad ever happens. The tank has been set up for a long time too. Theres always a way to make any fish work with each other if you do things right. And for filtration, well her tank is as heavily planted as mine are. So if you can make it work make it work. Only problem I see is that your tank is small for the goldfish not the betta. A normal fancy goldfish can get up to 10 inches.

Any good aquarium book written, will tell you that goldfish and Bettas do not share same water requirements nor do they share same diets.
Two very different species with very different needs. Your assertion that "there is always a way to make any fish work with each other" is patently false,, and is directly responsible for more fish deaths than lives lost in some wars.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #10 
Mister Sparkle

Without getting into the particulars of hypoxia, anoxia, tolerance and the health effects thereof, let's just suffice to say that, due to their oxygen requirements, goldfish do not handle tropical temperatures very well AT ALL!

Last edited by Mister Sparkle; 04-21-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote