Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2010, 12:46 AM   #1 
PartyInMyFishTank

succesfuly keeping a betta and an angel?

i have a very small male betta (about 1/2") in a 30 gallon tank, it is a community tank but with smaller but "big" bottom dwellers (2-4). so i was wondering if a got an angel that only got up to about 6" would be compatible, well i mean if anyone has done this without too many issues besides the fish being picking over food and what not. anyways sadly my very first fish that got me hooked on fish keeping and reptiles an amphibians died (pickles the GSP) and i had just moved him and his other gsp friend into a 45gal. since i have lost my beloved puffer, i was considering moving the community into the 45 adn the gsp back into the 30. so if i did do the 45 are there any suggestion on what to put in besides what i have which is 1 male betta, 1female and 1 male kribs, 6 kuhli's, 5 bloodfins, and 1 apple snail. i wasnt wanting a whole lot more fish f i did go into the 45, but i was maybe wanting 1-2 bigger fish, not 2 angels but maybe 1 angel and a bristel nose pleco. i have been thinking about having something more "different" in a way, like not the average c-tank, any "special type of fish that has an ease of care?
PartyInMyFishTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Angels and bettas don't get along. The Angels are too aggressive and will usually go after the betta. There's one member on here who has one with a betta but she's had the Angel since it was a baby and she keeps an eye out on them. Also, male and female bettas should never be kept in the same tank unless it's for breeding purposes or the tank is divided. You can have a female sorority with 4-6 females in a 10G. In a 45G you could get more than that. The tanks have to be HEAVILY planted because they are territorial fish and need hiding places.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #3 
PartyInMyFishTank

well im not planning on getting anymore bettas, the one i have now is a great community fish, hes just kinda thinks of himself as the big stud in the tank even if some are bigger than him.lol so it sounds like the angel possiblity is a no go, unless i move the betta back into its ten gal? would it even make a difference if i got the angel as a very itty baby (they just got some babys in at my lfs yesterday, fyi), so if i pick an angel smaller than the betta, would that be fine, would that help not having as big as an issue in the future? and im guessing if did want to go for the angel, it wouldnt work in the 30, or would i have to painfully move everything over again? also i have been saving up at least $50 bucks to blow on plants.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

You could try it, but I heard that Angels are a big no no to put with bettas unless you are very experienced with fish and know your fish well enough to look for signs of aggression. You could see how it goes and if there's aggression, just remove the betta and put him in his own tank. IMO I think bettas should be kept alone because they are VERY territorial. In the wild they are alone most of the time unless it's time to breed. IMO I think they're happy by themselves, but that's just me. :)
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #5 
PartyInMyFishTank

well im not sure i think he is really loving it in there. but i think i might try it out, but im most likely going to find some type of peace community fish. anyways maybe a gourami, but i heard that is a no no with bettas too, but it doesnt seems like they would not like each other.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #6 
Betta Slave

Be careful, you don't want to end up with hurt fish.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:47 PM   #7 
burn84

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyInMyFishTank View Post
well im not sure i think he is really loving it in there. but i think i might try it out, but im most likely going to find some type of peace community fish. anyways maybe a gourami, but i heard that is a no no with bettas too, but it doesnt seems like they would not like each other.
Gouramis = No No with Betta
Angel = Also a No No with Betta

some Yes Yes would be:

Harlequin Rasbora - very compatible n peaceful
Neon Tetras - slightly compatible, depending on your betta's personality
White Cloud Mountain Minnows - very compatible (may jump)
Corydoras - extremely useful and peaceful and a joy to watch
African Dwarf Frogs - very compatible
Black Skirt Tetras - slightly compatible, depending on your betta
burn84 is offline   Reply With Quote