Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #1 
1fish2fish

Talking Ok.. its time. School me on Breeding/Genetics

At the betta show my Mom bought a beautiful Multicolor HM male. When an multicolor HM female came up for auction everyone at the show wanted us to breed them so much that no one bid on her just so we would take her (just one of the many reasons why I love betta people.. they're not greedy.. they want everyone to make more fish LOL).

I said "Maybe I'll breed them".. but all day yesterday my Mom has been talking about breeding this pair (I think she's addicted now LOL). So it looks like this summer I'll be doing my first spawn ever!

Now onto my millions of questions. (I'll try to make it as organized as possible).

1. What do you think is a suitable size for a grow out tank? I'm thinking a 20 or 29.
2. Could we divide the fry into two or three 10 gallon tanks to grow out? (If that would save money)

3. What's your opinion on water level? I've heard low and full.. are there any advantages/disadvantages to each?

4.What plants do you use in your spawning tank? I'm definitely going to get java moss but are there any other good ones?
5. What temperature do you keep the spawning and grow out tanks?

6. Give me a list of the foods you feed.. both for conditioning and for the fry. I'm going to try to do BBS and micro worms for the fry but if there are others you've had success with I'd like to hear them.

7. Do you light the spawning/fry tanks or leave them unlighted? Any advantages/disadvantages to each?

Ok.. now genetics.. this is where I'm really a newbie.. I have no clue what to expect. The pair is a multicolor HM. They both have lots of reds and purples. I don't have the pedigrees for either and they came from separate breeders so I know they're not sibs.

Any ideas as to what we can expect from the fry color wise? Is there any chance we'll get some that look like Daddy? (I know some people that really want one just like him)

I'll get some good pictures of the both of them tonight so you can see their colors better. There are pictures of them in my Betta Show thread in the pictures (they'll be the last two fish on the OP).

If we actually do this spawning a lot of the work will be done by my mom. I don't have room for jars or a grow out tank at my dorm so we'll be setting up something at home. She'll be the one feeding the fry and doing the water changes when they're jarred (I'll be back in school by then). Any fish we sell will be split 50/50 between us since I own the female and she owns the male.

Whew.. sorry for the long post. I'm super excited about this and I want to have all my bases covered so we can spawn ASAP (hopefully around june).

Thanks
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #2 
SweetnSpicy

1. I would recommend using a 20gal or bigger to spawn in, I like 20gal talls better, because the High's just look too odd to me. But, whatever floats your boat.

2. Yeah, you could, but it would seem more efficient and cheaper to use a bigger tank.

3. I recommend using a lower amount, about 4-6 inches, for any size tank. I have been seeing my fry have trouble to swim to the surface when the water level was higher, so I had to lower it a little.

4. Java Moss, Java fern, Anubis, Banana Lilies, Hornwart, pretty much most plants are good for fry. But make sure the plants fit the tanks settings, you don't want cold water plant in at 80+ f.

5. I have my tanks without fry set to 80 f and my fry tank set to 82-84 f, and I have heard that too high a temperature will make the developmental process of the fry.

6. For the fry am alternating between microworms, bananaworms, and walterworms for now. But you can use grindal worms, and vinegar eels as well. I wouldn't recommend using JUST BBS for feeding them, because after 24 hrs they loose most of their nutritional value, and become a filler. For conditioning, I would use a high quality pellet, one that has fish meal, shrimp meal, or something along those lines FIRST on the ingredient list. If it doesn't have those first, then it is most likely most fillers. Also, use frozen (but thaw it first) blood worms, or freeze dried blood worms.

7. I keep mine lighted, but I haven't really heard of anyone not lighting them, so I wouldn't know. But I think it would cause stress when they are older, because they were raised without lights, and then having them on right above them...

I actually wouldn't know too much about the possible outcome without seeing some pictures. Sorry.

BTW, sounds like you have an epic pair :D
SweetnSpicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:41 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

Thanks for the info. Whats the difference between a 20gallon tall and a 20 gallon high? I thought they were the same thing. I'll definitely be getting a lot of different foods to feed the fry.

I'll be getting pics tonight. Of course I think they are gorgeous LOL. I finally got the male to flare and I about fainted he was so pretty. He has a very full caudal.. the biggest of all 4 HM males I have.

There are some not so good pics of them here..http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=42174 The pair are the last two fish pictured. Not the best pictures and the fish were stressed from being at the show all day and being packed and moved so I'll be getting better pics of them tonight.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I can't wait for pics!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #5 
Zenandra
Banned

I had this whole thing types up! and then my internet crashed! Haha I am not retyping it right now! I agree with what sweetnspicy said! Her advice is spot on IMO. With feeding I feed microworms for the first week then I alternate between vinegar eels and bbs until the babies are big enough to eat pellets and bloodworms.

As for genetics, I said a lot in the other post! I do think that you'll get a good number of fry that look similar to daddy!! Good luck and post lots of pictures!!
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #6 
SweetnSpicy

A 20gal long is the longer tanks, I know my gecko has one, and it is probably 2 1/2ft. It is pretty close in height to a 10gal. And, the highs are higher, lmao. I will see if I can get some pics uploaded if you want to see, to compare them. I got mine in a set, for christmas, with a heater, filter, and hood and all, for i think $100-$150.

I saw that post, and I am SO jealous of you! The nearest Betta club to me is in Georgia as well. The male looks similar to a few I saw before. female is too hard to tell with the stress stripes, but she should color up soon.

Thanks Zenandra :)
I hate when stuff like that happens.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:11 AM   #7 
1fish2fish

Yeah she colored up as soon as I got her into a nice 1 gallon jar (temporary). She has the same bluish/purple and red like the male.. just not as vibrant. I'll be dividing a 10 gallon tank for them this week so for now they're all in 1 gallons.

Didn't get pictures tonight.. roomie wanted to celebrate the last day of classes. I'll be getting some of him flaring tomorrow and of her so you can get a good idea.

If I get at least a couple good males that look like Daddy I'll be happy. I know at least one person really wants one like him :)
Old 05-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #8 
SweetnSpicy

I hope it all works out for you!
I know for sure I would look into buying a pair or two from you because I would love to broaden my pallet along the lines of coloring. Just having blue marbles and coppers will get old for me soon, I can already tell.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

Bump: Would anyone else like to share their techniques?

Also.. here are some better pictures of the pair.

Male: (I've named him Sid Vicious)
Without flash:
(not a full flare.. he is definitely an HM and not a delta)

With Flash: (sorry bout the glare.. this was the best I could get)

I have more but I'll put them up in a picture thread in a few days so I don't clog this thread.

Now the girl (She's named Nancy (as in Sid and Nancy))
The pictures don't do her justice. She has very vibrant purples and reds that are washed out in all the pictures. With flash she looks blueish.

According to Zenandra I'm going to get a bunch of different colors.. including marbles?
Old 05-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #10 
SweetnSpicy

I am not sure about the marbles, unless either of your fishes dams or sires were marble. They are an awesome pair though!