At the betta show my Mom bought a beautiful Multicolor HM male. When an multicolor HM female came up for auction everyone at the show wanted us to breed them so much that no one bid on her just so we would take her (just one of the many reasons why I love betta people.. they're not greedy.. they want everyone to make more fish LOL).
I said "Maybe I'll breed them".. but all day yesterday my Mom has been talking about breeding this pair (I think she's addicted now LOL). So it looks like this summer I'll be doing my first spawn ever!
Now onto my millions of questions. (I'll try to make it as organized as possible).
1. What do you think is a suitable size for a grow out tank? I'm thinking a 20 or 29.
2. Could we divide the fry into two or three 10 gallon tanks to grow out? (If that would save money)
3. What's your opinion on water level? I've heard low and full.. are there any advantages/disadvantages to each?
4.What plants do you use in your spawning tank? I'm definitely going to get java moss but are there any other good ones?
5. What temperature do you keep the spawning and grow out tanks?
6. Give me a list of the foods you feed.. both for conditioning and for the fry. I'm going to try to do BBS and micro worms for the fry but if there are others you've had success with I'd like to hear them.
7. Do you light the spawning/fry tanks or leave them unlighted? Any advantages/disadvantages to each?
Ok.. now genetics.. this is where I'm really a newbie.. I have no clue what to expect. The pair is a multicolor HM. They both have lots of reds and purples. I don't have the pedigrees for either and they came from separate breeders so I know they're not sibs.
Any ideas as to what we can expect from the fry color wise? Is there any chance we'll get some that look like Daddy? (I know some people that really want one just like him)
I'll get some good pictures of the both of them tonight so you can see their colors better. There are pictures of them in my Betta Show thread in the pictures (they'll be the last two fish on the OP).
If we actually do this spawning a lot of the work will be done by my mom. I don't have room for jars or a grow out tank at my dorm so we'll be setting up something at home. She'll be the one feeding the fry and doing the water changes when they're jarred (I'll be back in school by then). Any fish we sell will be split 50/50 between us since I own the female and she owns the male.
Whew.. sorry for the long post. I'm super excited about this and I want to have all my bases covered so we can spawn ASAP (hopefully around june).