Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #1 
bonfiliof

Moving!

My family and I are in the market for a new home and we will be moving soon. It is just going to be a local move in the same town. My question is what's the best way to move a 10gal tank.

My thought is take 40% of the water out, cover the top with some plastic, put the lid back on. Then have my wife drive with me sitting in the back seat with the tank.

Only about a 10 min drive.
bonfiliof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would take more water out and the reason being is that the weight can cause the seams to split and you can end up with a leaking tank in a new house.......
10g is about 80/90 pound more or less, half that is 40ish pound and even if you are strong enough to lift and carry 40 pounds you risk split seams with once little twist

Even with the 10 min drive I would empty all the water, put the fish in bags or a bucket, keep the filter media wet and set everything up ASAP. Don't clean anything especially the filter media just re-fill with fresh dechlorinated water and re-acclimate the fish, you may still get a min-cycle but a couple of daily water changes will fix that...

Good luck with the move......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote