Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #1 
Hyrulemaster

Unhappy Unknown sickness???

Hello all!
I am a first time betta owner and I love my very sick betta (Leroy Jenkins) but am having trouble getting him back into a state of health! I have had him now for a total of about two months and he lives in a 1.5 gallon tank with a filter. He is a blue betta with a black head (my profile picture) and used to be very active. Recently however, he has become inactive and sick looking. First I guess I should start with his symptoms:

-He has the general lethargy and usually sits at the top or bottom of the tank
-At first he didn't eat much (he started to eat more after I "treated" him)
-clumped fins
-spits out food that is to big

Now the stranger symptom is the green fungus that is lightly coating his entire body. I took pictures and brought them into the local Petco, where to my great dismay I found no concrete answer to his illness. Instead I was given BettaFix and Betta Revive. I took Leroy out of his normal tank and put him in a 1 gallon bowl. I used Betta Revive first, and it didn't help much at all. So then I did a complete water change, rinsed out the first bowl and tried the BettaFix for a week. He improved and was more active and started to eat some of the dried blood worms I crushed up for him, but still had some of the green fungus. I did another water change but kept treating him, and now it seems that he has relapsed somewhat and is staying at the top of the tank and eating less than before (but still somewhat).
Can anyone tell me what's wrong with him?? Or what he has, or any suggestions on how to proceed??

Thanks,
~Kat
Also I had 3 previous fish before Leroy that were small Danols (or something like that) that all died of this fungus before I could try to treat it. I'm positive Leroy got it from the old tank, and I heard that the best way to clean it is a 1/3 vinegar 2/3 water solution. Is this true?

Also I can post pictures of him at some point if that helps at all!
Hyrulemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #2 
Mitsufishi

Pictures PLEASE!

It could be velvet. Ive seen close up pics of that and it looks green.
Mitsufishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Sound like water mold, best treatment is 100% water changes daily and aquarium salt 1tsp/gal up to 3tsp/gal for 10-14 days, best to treat in a small QT.
Once it is cleared up stay with 2 times a week 50% water changes with a 100% water changes 2-3 times a month and remove any uneaten food after feeding. Keep the water temp in the 78F area.
If you are on city water supply you may want to check their web-site or call them and see if anything different has happened or changes.
If on well water you may need a filter of some type, we have all kinds of mold and fungus among other things in the water but it is at safe levels for humans.

You can clean your tanks with a diluted bleach and water 20:1, rinse well and use a good dechlornator on the finial re-fill.
Always use dechlorinator with any new water add to the fish if on city water.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsufishi View Post
Pictures PLEASE!

It could be velvet. Ive seen close up pics of that and it looks green.
Good catch...it very well could be...lets hope so much easier to treat......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #5 
Hyrulemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Good catch...it very well could be...lets hope so much easier to treat......
Ok! I'll try to have pics up tonight! Thank you so much! :)
Old 04-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #6 
Hyrulemaster

Ok so this is Leroy ....
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #7 
Mitsufishi

Uh oh. It looks like velvet but I've never personally dealt with it so we might need oldfishladys second opinion
Mitsufishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:29 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

It looks like velvet to me, too. We need a rd opinion.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:46 PM   #9 
Mister Sparkle

Eff second opinions (with all due respect)!

That's velvet, and it's progressed to the point that you need to act NOW!

Step one: water change!

Step two: Increase temps in the aquarium by approx. 1-degree per hour, until you have them around 85!

Step three: Lights OUT! This is a bugger that THRIVES on light. Blackout conditions, as much as possible!

Step four: Maracide and S.T.A.T. on that! I've heard Coppersafe works, too...but i have no experience with it.

Step five: something anti-bacterial, for secondary infections. Tetracycline is a good one.

Step on it! This one is about the worst I've ever seen. When it's all said and done, regardless of outcome, you ought to be able to sell that picture to an authority on fish-care as the new "textbook" example of velvet.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:58 PM   #10 
Sella

Wow. I'm sorry that Leroy is sick but that is a stunning picture example of velvet disease and it's a good one for us to all see. I had some guppies with velvet. I was able to save one out of three, but even though it cleared up, it came back with any stressors that particular fish had, and it took a lot of work.
I'd recommend keeping things extra clean and don't cross contaminate between this fish/tank and any other you may have.
I really hope he makes it.

On another note, Old Fish Lady..what is water mold?
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote