Betta Fish Forum banner

Attack of the Brown Algae! (And some green!)

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  TheJadeBetta 
#1 ·
What are some good tank mates for Bettas that eat brown algae? I have shrimps, but the algae grows faster than they can eat. I also scrub and it still goes back, but with a force. Anyone?

#3 ·
Will Hikari Tropical Sinking Wafers work?

#4 · (Edited)
Definitely otos! My guys made quick work of those tasty diatoms!

Hikari is a fantastic brand :) Go for the algae wafers though, but you can also add some blanched zucchini as well. They go crazy for it!

Also be sure to snag at least three, they love schooling :) But for some reason these guys are pretty sensitive to moving tanks so acclimate them very slowly, preferrably drip-acclimation.

#5 ·
Nerite snails are another option. Great algae (and diatom) eaters and they have a really low bioload. You also don't have to get a school of them which is a plus if your tank is already stocked pretty well or you don't want to add more fish.

#6 ·
I have snails for diatoms. I had a bunch of pond snails but Tango ate all but the big one. :/
The one big guy does a pretty solid job of it.

For my other tanks (as well as Tango's) I use Flourish Excel to try and keep the diatom problem down. It doesn't really do anything to them but it helps my plants stay healthy and they in turn take in more nutrients so the diatoms have less. Or at least that's what I read. It seems to have worked. The diatoms in most of my tanks turned into balls of fluff and fell right off the plants.

But if I forget the dose for more then a day those pesky diatoms come creeping right back up. With a force. LOL!

#7 ·
Diatoms will subside after a while. I had a real bad outbreak in my 10 and 3 gallon tanks around february and neither tank has much left at all. I also heard flourish excel helps kill algae but I haven't tried it yet (I'm getting some tomorrow).

#9 ·
Thanks everyone!!

Erik: You could keep 2 to 5 Otos. Well it depends on your filter, too.

#11 ·
Dang, I would be upset. Well, my favorite pet store had one that was lonely. Got him and went to Petsmart and got a buddy for him. And a day after the guarantee was up. He died. T_T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.