Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #1 
rachel1811

5 gallons???

Hey :)

How many litres is a gallon? I think most ppl here talk US gallons n I'm just confused

Thanks

Rx
rachel1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #2 
Welsh

5 gallons is about 23 litres. 1 gallon is about 5 litres.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:51 AM   #3 
rachel1811

so I'v got a 30L for my betta when I get it so thats alright isnt it???

Rx
Old 05-03-2010, 04:02 AM   #4 
Welsh

Yup, thats an ideal tank for your betta, way better size than what I've got mine in. I don't know if you know but your tank is about 6.6 UK gallons and 8 US gallons so depending on which country your from its a perfect size all around for a betta, you could also add in hiding places and a few live plants if you haven't done so already =)
Old 05-03-2010, 06:13 AM   #5 
rachel1811

Excellent thank u. Gonna set the tank up at weekend with the filter from the platy tank plus some babies to cycle the tank faster make sure it is ready for sons birthday. Got a few cave things n some silk plants ready to add. Almost there :)

Thanks

Rx
Old 05-03-2010, 06:29 AM   #6 
Welsh

When I was cycling my 12 gallon I got told on here to feed the tank a little fish food to move it along faster. Are you going to test the water before your betta into the tank? if you don't have a testing kit what I did was take a sample to the pet store and they tested it for free. Also if I were you, before you put your betta into the tank I would do a 25% or even a 50% water change just to keep the ammonia levels from the fry, filter and food to a lower level, add water conditioner to rid of heavy metals and chlorine. I'm sure you know all this though =)

I'm sure your son is going to love and make sure you post some pics I got see the tank and betta =)
Old 05-03-2010, 07:50 AM   #7 
rachel1811

Just stuck the "caves" together with aquarium sealant. So all systems go. Gonna give the Betta the platys filter which should have all the good bacteria in, n the platys the new 1. Plus do a 50% water change with the platys giving the water minus sludge to the betta tank. That way they have 50/50 good bacteria. Gonna keep the baby platys of which we have a population boom this month in the new tank for now.

Its all coming together :)

Rx
Old 05-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #8 
Welsh

You made your own caves? I'm obsessed with ceramic pots in the tank, half buried under the gravel or sand they look quite effective considering they are so cheap. Think I paid 25p each in Wilkinsons for them. I see your from the UK so I thought I'd suggest =) haha. Is this your first betta? You could also add a mystery snail into your tank with your betta if you wanted.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #9 
rachel1811

The caves r terracotta herb garden pots off ebay with tortoise shapes on. We've gone for the multi storey cave thing. Kinda totem pole looking. just stuck them together to avoiding them slipping apart n killing the fish. Looks quite cool. My son's idea......not bad for a 5 year old :)

Will post pics at weekend

Rx
Old 05-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #10 
rachel1811

We dont want snails.....just fish. The snails produce too much amonia for poor old mummy who has to do all of the care