Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #1 
JaspersANGEL

Betta and snail help!

Yesterday I bought two snail's (gold mystery snail's) for my betta tank's (one in with Jasper and one in with Charlie) and today i fed one a algae cake (the one in Jasper's tank).
Well until the snail found the algae cake Jasper was munching on it and taking big chunks off it, then the snail found it..and when it was done sucking on it, it just laid there almost on top of it and I spied Jasper in the same corner trying to steal the algae cake from under the snail (silly fish). He got it I guess cause now he's as big as a cow...I wont make that mistake again... and probably wont be feeding him for the rest of the week.

Anyways my question is are algae cakes harmful to betta's
And what would u guys suggest I do with Jasper now..there is still some of that algae cake left and last time I checked up on him, he was dragging himself to that corner again..I can't take the cake out cause I already tried and it fell to pieces....
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:53 AM   #2 
Mister Sparkle

Jasper needs a sign... "You are CARNIVORE!" Maybe then he'll learn!
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I would break the algae wafer in quarters and only feed small amounts once a week and drop them in about an hour after lights out.

The algae wafer should not hurt the Betta but over eating can, get a siphon of some type and suck it out or a fine mesh net.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #4 
Welsh

I had this problem today I fed my bottom dwellers 3 algae wafers as one acidentally slipped in and before you know it 3 of my females were swimming around the tank with these orange things sticking out of their mouths, it was funny but I felt bad for the corys lol. Anyway, it shouldnt hurt your betta just get a turkey baster and suck it up if your worried =) I never feed my snail, is that bad? lol from the algae wafers and the leftover food hes bound to get enough, plus I've seen him sliiming all over my plants I'm just hoping hes not munching away lol
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #5 
JaspersANGEL

*lol* yea Mister Sparkle, that's what I thought too that betta's were carnivores but guess my guys are omnivores hehehe!!
Charlies hanging out in the corner where his snail is resting trying to get bit's of the algae cake everytime the snail moves, he's not as guttsie as Jasper hahah where he'll just go under the snail and pull the cake out

Thankx Oldfishlady

Welsh it's cause my tanks are still a bit fairly new and I just have two betta's and they practicaly grab the food from my hand plus the girl at the store who sold me the snail's said that if ever I run out of algae I can feed the snail's the cake's.
I don't think it's really that bad if u don't feed ur snail, like u said from the algae cakes and the leftover food he get's enough!!
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote