Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #1 
newfishmom

Unhappy No eating - 11 days - Roscoe

As of this morning Roscoe STILL hasn't eaten anything. I brought him home on April 22. He is in a 2.5/3 gallon tank with a heater. I change his water every 3 - 4 days, 100% {Monday's & Friday's} On the day I brought him home he ate 2 pellets. Friday morning {23rd} he ate 2 pellets. Since then, nothing! He will act like he is intrested, come up and look at the pellet or worm or flake then turn his head to the side take a gulp of air and swim away. Or he will put it into his mouth, swish it around then spit it out. His fins are still clamped, he had a bit of fin rot when I brought him home but that is actually looking better. He still doesn't interact with you like the others. He will come out of his flowerpot and give me the eye, then turn his head like he is saying "Talk to the fin!" I wake up every morning thinking he will be dead when I go in the living room. I am really thinking something is wrong with him on the inside.

So...How long can a fish go without eating and survive?
newfishmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #2 
Welsh

He still hasnt eaten. I bought TetraBetta for Aden and he loves it, it has added shimp and krill pieces too. Someone else on this forum uses it too and she has had a good experience with the food, I think it was firefly.

Sorry to hear about your betta =(
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #3 
kikuhoshi

It's possible something's wrong inside, or it could be the finrot is still bothering him. As for not eating, I had Armand for 2-2 weeks before he decided to eat for the first time.
kikuhoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Increase your water changes to 50% daily for 4-5 days and add fresh garlic juice to his food, also if you live in an area that you can safely gather live mosquito larva get some and add a few and see if he won't eat them.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #5 
newfishmom

Welsh - I am kinda tired of buying stuff just for him in the hopes that he will eat it. The others don't have any problems skarffing anything down!
kikuhoshi - 2 - 2 1/2 weeks YIKES but that is good to know and to give me something to go by. Thanks. Just getting frustrated I suppose.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #6 
newfishmom

Thanks Oldfishlady! I have tried soaking the pellets in garlic too but still no move. I will try the 50% for awile only problem is I will be leaving on Thursday and not coming back till Saturday. DD is going to do the feeding but as far as anything else, not sure she will go for that! I was going to do 100% on Thursday before I leave then again late Saturday when I get home.

OH yeah, I even tried an earthworm! Cut very small. Still, he looked at it and said "Blah"
Old 05-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #7 
kikuhoshi

Yeah, I was scared to death... He had been the last of the batch (Meijer rescue! :D), and his water was spotless: no food, no poo, nothing, which meant that he probably went another week/week and a half without food or a bare minimum. He's a fighter, though, and a good choice compared to my first college fish (a baja shark who started getting visibly sick in the car, not even five minutes away from where we bought him).

He's staring at me, like he knows I'm talking about him. ._.;; haha.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 05-04-2010 at 06:17 PM.
kikuhoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #8 
newfishmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikuhoshi View Post
He's staring at me, like he knows I'm talking about him. ._.;; haha.
Cute! At least he interacts with you! That is great!