Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #1 
brancasterr

Ugh! :(

So my tank is completely cycled after I've been working on getting it cycled for a little under a month now. I went to do the large water change at the end to dilute the amount of nitrates and in doing so added water that was extremely high in ammonia and now my nitrites are back again but it hasn't been a full 24 hours and I'm sure all levels will be down to zero again tomorrow morning. However, I'm just so disappointed because I was looking forward into putting fish in today. :(

I just bought some R/O water from my LFS and I'm wondering if I can just do another large water change, say 50%, and then let it run for a few hours and stock my tank.

Do you guys think that if I do this my nitrites will be diluted enough to do this?
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:23 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What are your numbers for-ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH
How are you cycling or what is your ammonia source and at what level did you keep the ammonia
What was the tank size and type of filter or aeration source
Your stocking plan is one Betta...right?
Doing R/O 50/50 mix with tap can be good
Do you have ammonia in your source water...if so at what level...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #3 
brancasterr

My numbers now are down to zero. pH is good and I cycled fishless with a pure liquid ammonia source diluted to 10%. The tank size is 10g and the filter is rated for 5-15g.

My stocking plan is some neons, cories, and a betta if he will cooperate.

There is a TON of ammonia in my source water. Probably about 3ppm. I think I'm just going to do a 50% water change and replace the water I take out with the R/O water. Then test the water in the morning and if all is well I'll begin stocking.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #4 
Kittles

Is your source water naturally high in ammonia? If so, how do you plan on doing water changes if every time you add new water you throw off your cycle, or raise your ammonia too high for your fish to handle. I'm confused. Or is that why you're purchasing water now?
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #5 
brancasterr

Yeah, that is why I'm purchasing water now. It's only 35 cents per gallon at my LFS. Can't beat that!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #6 
Mister Sparkle

I'm sure the R/O supplied by your LFS is going to be perfect for your needs. They are unlikely to use the filters that remove all the buffering capacity of the water. I think the investment in that water is a much better choice than taking your chances with your tap water, Bran. Good move!
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote